Malwarebytes blocks access to barclaycard.co.uk for first time

TerryA
Go to solution Solved by Porthos,

Hi,

The following message has appeared this morning when I tried to go to

barclaycard.co.uk. 

Is this real or fake? I am using Microsoft Edge, as I have been doing for the last two years together with Malwarebytes and until this morning had no problem accessing my online account.

Website blocked due to compromised

Website blocked: 

www.barclaycard.co.uk

Malwarebytes Browser Guard blocked this website because it may contain malware activity.

We strongly recommend you do not continue.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Disable live hyperlink

Barclaycard.co.uk is the web address to access the UK's major credit card provider.

You can't access any of Barclaycard's on line services through a browser without going through that web address.

From other sources there is nothing else to suggest the site has been compromised with malware.

So it really begs the question as to whether Malwarebytes is picking up some malware nobody else has spotted or whether there is a glitch in Malwarebytes software that is producing false positives.

The fact there are so few posts in this forum, maybe suggests not many people are relying on Malwarebytes as you would have thought it would be a big problem for such a major company as Barclaycard.

My access to barclaycard login also blocked.

Website blocked due to compromised

Website blocked: bcol.barclaycard.co.uk

Malwarebytes Browser Guard blocked this website because it may contain malware activity.

We strongly recommend you do not continue.

GO BACK
CONTINUE TO SITE

Do not block this site again for malware

Please sort this out, Malwarebytes

There is an earlier post on this forum suggesting a staff person has submitted the problem for review.

The Malwarebytes website has this link as their support process

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/sections/360005863313-Get-Started

Not sure whether you end up with a person or a bot and if a person where in the world that might be. Their HQ is in California.

I've now looked up the Barclaycard.co.uk website in a number of different cyber security forensic tools and none of them show any problem with the site.

I have seen something similar before with Malwarebytes web browser flagging what appears to be a perfectly clean web address and all that has happened is a few weeks (sic) later the Malwarebytes block message has disappeared.

It will be interesting if there is an explanation response this time as it is a more sensitive website they are flagging up.

If there isn't a reasonable explanation I'm tempted to take Malwarebytes web browser off my browser and use something else.

Just tried and it works for me now through Edge and Chrome, so a better response than the couple of weeks I'd noticed on a previous website.

My issue is not so much whether it works now, but rather why Malwarebytes Browser Guard flagged the site as malware in the first place.

As no other software at the time was showing the Barclaycard.co.uk site as containing malware to me it really begs the question as to whether the coding behind Malwarebytes Browser Guard contains something that is overly picking up false positives.

In this case it has said a major financial institution that Malwarebytes Browser Guard said had been breached with malware.

It would be helpful if Malwarebytes would come clean and say whether it was a glitch in their system or not.