VPN not working properly

Forrial

So i have since a long time Malwarebytes Premium and so far i am happy with it. I always thought that Malwarebytes in general was above average when it came to the quality. 

Then about half a year ago, maybe longer, i learned about Malwarebytes Privacy. Since privacy and gaming are important to me i was always using some kind of VPN. I thought that since i was happy with Malwarebytes i might as well get the VPN from them. What can i say about it? Its a good VPN *if you don't game online*, but nothing amazing. For that price the VPN has less than satisfying number of possible countries. If that was all then i could live with that, but the thing is that this VPN is just sometime not working. Sometimes if you wonder why you have no internet at all, then just disconnect from the VPN, your internet is just fine. Sometimes while gaming online *which for is VPN, offline makes no sense at all to have VPN* your internet loss is just disgustung, jumping from 0-4% to 20% in a few seconds, then drops again and jumps high again. If its looking like that i might aswell don't have it at all.

I will wait to the end of my subscription and then swich for sometime to another VPN.

Hello @Forrial and welcome back.

Until a Malwarebytes staffer weighs in regarding your issue, would you please run a pair of tests using Speedtest® by Ookla with Malwarebytes Privacy enabled and disabled. It may prove helpful if you reply to this thread with the pair of 3 significant values reported: Ping/Download/Upload

Thank you.

• Root Admin

Hello @Forrial

Can you please post back some logs for us.

To begin, please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained are safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thank you

76e70a6d72e20110a96aa7b37077b16c.png With VPN on

52e3ae8ed5c6aa266fb3dd552ed77b29.png With VPN off

I might have not typed everything clearly. Ping/download/upload was never the problem, packet loss is, i don't know if servers are crushing or are poor quality, but when i do experience those problems i just turn Malwarebytes Privacy off and all of the sudden i have no more packet loss and my internet is back again.

And those problems are not all the time. Most of the time everything is going with no problem.

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Root Admin

Hello @Forrial

Your system has a few minor issues which may be part of the issue, but having poor or inconsistent connections is semi-normal, but it should be rare, not the norm. If you're seeing this often then there may be something more going on with the computer that we'll need to look into.

As an example you have at least the following that appears to be missing a driver.

Name: PCI controller for data collection and signal processing
Description: PCI controller for data collection and signal processing

I can help you get and update missing drivers if you like, let me know if you would like help.

Often times certain programs can have a fault due to various issues but is also often only a transient issue and does not happen over and over or continue for days. That said it looks like your Riot Vanguard security software for the game keeps faulting. Perhaps its due to the recent VPN issue you speak of? It seems to happen each day or other day.

Example:

Application errors:
==================
Error: (09/21/2021 07:57:32 PM) (Source: Application Error) (EventID: 1000) (User: )
Description: Nazwa aplikacji powodującej błąd: vgtray.exe, wersja: 1.8.2.16, sygnatura czasowa: 0x612d4c86
Nazwa modułu powodującego błąd: vgtray.exe, wersja: 1.8.2.16, sygnatura czasowa: 0x612d4c86
Kod wyjątku: 0xc0000005
Przesunięcie błędu: 0x00000000000701c4
Identyfikator procesu powodującego błąd: 0x2818
Godzina uruchomienia aplikacji powodującej błąd: 0x01d7aef4cc54db9a
Ścieżka aplikacji powodującej błąd: C:\Program Files\Riot Vanguard\vgtray.exe
Ścieżka modułu powodującego błąd: C:\Program Files\Riot Vanguard\vgtray.exe
Identyfikator raportu: a55e19f5-4ff9-4f75-9d1b-9c7bec75aab3
Pełna nazwa pakietu powodującego błąd:
Identyfikator aplikacji względem pakietu powodującego błąd:

Windows Defender also keeps alerting to issues updating.

It's up to you but I'd suggest you let me help you do some generic cleanup of the system and see if we can remove or reduce issues. This would include a temporary removal of all of our Malwarebytes programs, doing some general cleanup and system file verification and then once clean reinstall the Malwarebytes programs.

Also look at doing a factory reset of your router and using another DNS server such as Google Public DNS and see if all of that improves overall performance and usage of the program.

Let me know and I'll be happy to assist.

Cheers

Hello, thanks for replying.

I would very much like your help with those issuses and settings and sorry if its my bad that the program is not working well for me. 
If you could type for me what i would have to do in order i will. I would start tomorrow after work. About Riot Vanguard i guess i can delete it to see if its causing the problems.

Thanks!

• Root Admin

Okay, let's start out with doing a basic clean up of Google Chrome

[ STEP 1 ]

Please follow the directions from the following topic to clean up Google Chrome

[ STEP 2 ]

Use the following tool to temporarily uninstall all Malwarebytes programs. Please do not allow the program to reinstall them just yet. Decline the offer to reinstall

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click the CLEAN button and follow the onscreen instructions but DO NOT reinstall Malwarebytes
  • NOTE: Please have patience as it can take a while to remove. The computer will restart to complete

[ STEP 3 ]

Let's go ahead and run a 3rd party antivirus scan just to make sure it too does not find anything

I don't expect it to find anything, but no harm in checking.

Free scan with the ESET Online Scanner

Go to https://download.eset.com/com/eset/tools/online_scanner/latest/esetonlinescanner.exe

• It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner.exe"
  • Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.
  • Go to the saved file, and double-click it to get it started. 
  • When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".
  • Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes 
  • When prompted for scan type, Click on Full scan 
  • Look at & tick  ( select )   the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"   and click on the Start scan button.
  • Have patience.  The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.
  • There is a progress window display.
  • You should ignore all prompts to get the ESET antivirus software program.   ( e.g. their standard program).   You do not need to buy or get or install anything else.
  • When the scan is completed, if something was found, it will show a screen with the number of detected items.  If so, click the button marked “View detected results”.
  • Click The blue “Save scan log” to save the log.
  • If something was removed and you know it is a false finding, you may click on the blue ”Restore cleaned files”  ( in blue, at the bottom).
  • Press Continue when all done.  You should click off the offer for “periodic scanning”.

Note: If you do need to do a File Restore from ESET please follow the directions below

[KB2915] Restore files quarantined by the ESET Online Scanner version 3

https://support.eset.com/en/kb2915-restore-files-quarantined-by-the-eset-online-scanner

[ STEP 4 ]

Restart the computer two times and then run the Farbar program and click on Scan and attach both new logs.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

image.png

Thanks

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information

Addition.txtFRST.txt

I think i have done all of it. Both of the files are in polish, if you need i can try to change my system language to english so that the files will be also in english.

At the Step 3. the program has found 2 files, but those 2 very Cheat Engine which always shows up, at least what i read about it. Anyway i left it in quarantine. Do you need to log from ESET Online Scanner? I think i didint save that, but i can do it again if you need it.
Also can i already install Malwarebytes programs?

• Root Admin

[ STEP 1 ]

Please consider changing your DNS server to one of these

Cloudflare
https://developers.cloudflare.com/1.1.1.1/setup-1.1.1.1/windows

OpenDNS
https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/228007207-Windows-10-Configuration

Google Public DNS
https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

[ STEP 2 ]

Are you using Microsoft OneDrive ? If you're not using it then I'd recommend you disable it from running when the computer starts up.

[ STEP 3 ]

You have the following error listed in the Event Logs.
Did you build this computer yourself, a friend, or local computer store?

The motherboard shows as the following

ASRock Z370 Gaming K6

Is this the correct link for your system? 
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6/

You may need drivers from Asrock to correct the items below

==================== Wadliwe urządzenia w Menedżerze urządzeń ============

Name: Kontroler PCI gromadzenia danych i przetwarzania sygnałów
Description: Kontroler PCI gromadzenia danych i przetwarzania sygnałów
Class Guid:
Manufacturer:
Service:
Problem: : The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
Resolution: To install the drivers for this device, click "Update Driver", which starts the Hardware Update wizard.

Name: Kontroler pamięci PCI
Description: Kontroler pamięci PCI
Class Guid:
Manufacturer:
Service:
Resolution: To install the drivers for this device, click "Update Driver", which starts the Hardware Update wizard.

Name: Kontroler magistrali zarządzania systemem
Description: Kontroler magistrali zarządzania systemem
Class Guid:
Manufacturer:
Service:

[ STEP 4 ]

Please open an elevated admin command prompt and run the following

CHKDSK C: /F

It will say it cannot lock the drive. Press the Y key for Yes to allow it to run on restart. Here is an example below in English

image.png

[ STEP 5 ]

Run the following fix

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop or location where you ran FRST from.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real-time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed, make sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or wherever you ran FRST from. Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

NOTE-3: As part of this fix it will also reset the network to default settings including the firewall. If you have custom firewall rules you need to save please export or save them first before running this fix.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome, and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

[ STEP 6 ]

Restart the computer two times. Then run the Farbar FRST program again and click on the Scan button. Make sure you have a checkmark in the Addition.txt check box.

Attach back both those logs and the fixlog.txt from the fix above on your next reply

Thanks

• Root Admin

We'll be reinstalling Malwarebytes soon @Forrial but not quite yet, please. We want to ensure the system is clean and remove the major Event logged issues first.

The system is running Windows Defender antivirus so you're not without protection. Just don't go surfing the Web really until we finish up.

Thanks

• Root Admin

Please verify the exact model # of your motherboard and find the correct Support page and let me know. We will probably need to get drivers from Asrock

Please run the following for me

SecurityCheck by glax24              

I would like you to run a tool named SecurityCheck to inquire about the current security update status of some applications.

• Download SecurityCheck by glax24: https://tools.safezone.cc/glax24/SecurityCheck/SecurityCheck.exe
  • If Microsoft SmartScreen blocks the download, click through to save the file
  • This tool is safe.   Smartscreen is overly sensitive.
  • If SmartScreen blocks the file from running click on More info and Run anyway
  • Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"  and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
  • Wait for the scan to finish. It will open a text file named SecurityCheck.txt Close the file.  Attach it with your next reply.
  • You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt

image.png

image.png

image.png

Thank you

• Root Admin

Thank you @Forrial

Please update, uninstall, or otherwise address the following as appropriate for your system

--------------------------- [ OtherUtilities ] ----------------------------
Notepad++ (64-bit x64) v.7.9.5 Warning! Download Update

NVIDIA GeForce Experience 3.22.0.32 v.3.22.0.32 Warning! Download Update

------------------------------ [ ArchAndFM ] ------------------------------
WinRAR 6.01 (64-bitowy) v.6.01.0 Warning! Download Update

-------------------------- [ IMAndCollaborate ] ---------------------------
Discord v.1.0.9001 Warning! Download Update

------------------------------- [ Browser ] -------------------------------
Google Chrome v.93.0.4577.82 Warning! Download Update

• Root Admin

Next,

Please download the following file. Then extract the files from the zip and run the installer. Then restart the computer.

INF driver ver:10.1.17765.8094
https://download.asrock.com/Drivers/INF/INF(v10.1.17765.8094-public-mup).zip

After the install and computer restart please run the Farbar program again and click the Scan button.

Make sure there is a check mark on the Addition.txt check box

image.png

Attach both new logs

FRST.TXT
Addition.txt

• Root Admin

Great, so many of the issues and errors look to have been corrected from the work we've been doing. However your Riot Vanguard continues to be faulting.

For now please try uninstalling that program. Then restart the computer and let me know how the computer is running now before we reinstall the Malwarebytes program.

Thanks @Forrial