[ RESOLVED ] Legacy 3.5.1.2522 - sudden "Red Triangle" "Your updates are not current"

Go to solution Solved by tetonbob,

I had been running 3.1.2.1733 without issues, until today, when after rebooting my Vista (yes, I know) desktop I saw down in the system tray a little red triangle with white exclamation mark. Opening Malwarebytes it said "your updates are not current." Clicking "Check for updates" gave the usual quick green status bar but alas no updates were apparently found since the above messages persisted.

So I took the advice of those wiser than I in here and did an over-the-top install to version 3.5.1.2522, component package version 1.0.365, Update package version 1.0.22556. Worked great. Looked great. It exclaimed: "Awesome! You're protected" and Updates: Current. Also no red triangle over the blue Malwarebytes icon. Hooray!

1000813481_9-1-202110-38-12AM.jpg.fe205ea81bc18fb209f81a9a9524a6f6.jpg

However, minutes later I get the ominous red triangle and Your updates are not current:

2031500193_9-1-202111-10-52AM.jpg.93214740564d18db76b44deee00d6b2b.jpg

I click "Check for updates" and get the usual green status bar for a moment, but nothing else. Everything remains as the image above.

If I close, then quit Malwarebytes (by right clicking the system tray icon) the re-launch Malwarebytes I get the top picture saying everything is awesome...for about 10 minutes, then I get the lower picture & the red triangle.

BTW, I got the exact behavior Before installing 3.5.1.2522: quitting and awesome but just for minutes then updates not current w/the red triangle.

What changed? I had been blissfully running 3.1 forever without the red triangle that won't update or go away. Now I get the same behavior with this latest legacy 3.5 version.

I'm confused. I'm shopping for a Win10 desktop, but will keep the Vista machine also (long story) so I just want to make sure nothing is wrong and understand what changed suddenly; why am I getting this new behavior?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Exactly the same issue here.

Was fine yesterday, today version 3.5.1 says its definitions are out of date, but the update routine does not work.

Did something happen on the 1st of the month, certificate expired or something?

Thanks, Dave.
🤔

I have the exact problem which coincidently (don't believe in coincidence) on the 1st of September, 2021.

• Like 1

Well, sadly it does not appear coincidence then. There's the old ominous note on the End of Life page:

"...You may continue to use the older version at your own risk, but the product may no longer provide ongoing protection updates, maintenance, or patches..."

Hoping they didn't decide to simply end protection updates on September 1, 2021. If so, I wonder if we could get confirmation of it.

My legacy malwarebytes program on a windows XP PC has the same update issue that started a day or two ago.  I'm using version 3.5.1.2522, component package version 1.0.365, update package version 1.0.22556.   It will not update beyond update package version 1.0.22556.  I tried using the clean uninstall utility mb-clean-3.1.0.1035.exe to completely remove all malwarebytes components, then rebooted the PC, then re-installed Malwarebytes version 3.5.1.2522, reactivated the license, attempted to update, but it still did not update beyond update package version 1.0.22556.  Can anyone confirm that they've officially ended update support for this legacy version of malwarebytes?  If so, I'll need to cancel my subscription for this PC.  Will a member of the Malwarebytes support staff please address this issue and provide an answer or a solution to the update problem?  Thank you.

I would actually be very annoyed if they suddenly dropped pattern updates for version 3.5.1 with no warning.
They are on record as saying they would provide pattern updates (only) for this version to run on legacy operating systems for the foreseeable future, and we have all been paying our subscriptions on this understanding.
I can't believe they would suddenly pull the plug with no prior warning of the cut-off date, so I'm still holding onto the belief that this is a temporary fault of some sort,
As I said earlier, the most likely problem is that a security certificate somewhere expired at the end of August and this was overlooked.
As has been said, some official response from Malwarebytes on this would be good so we know where we are!
🙂

• 2 months later...

Hi TetonBob,

It appears that the legacy version of Malwarebytes is not updating from yesterday's protection updates.  The red triangle has reappeared like last time and it will not update again.  I assume it's the same problem we saw early in September.  Thanks for looking into this again.

Chuck

2 hours ago, Chuck1 said:

Hi TetonBob,

It appears that the legacy version of Malwarebytes is not updating from yesterday's protection updates.  The red triangle has reappeared like last time and it will not update again.  I assume it's the same problem we saw early in September.  Thanks for looking into this again.

Chuck

Ditto on the red triangle :( As others have said.. THANK YOU for continuing to support the legacy version!!