Help

JJA

Hi,

Hope you can advise. I am not tech savvy and I have a question. I sent a message to ASDA supermarket on Messenger via my I phone. When they replied in Messenger I stupidly clicked on something which they asked me to do to claim a gift (I know, stupid. ). They then asked me to pass the message on to 30 friends which I did not do and then they sent me another message saying I could not receive my gift until I sent the message on.  I have never done anything like this before but because they had replied to my message, I thought it was genuine. I cleared my browsing history and deleted cookies on Safari on my phone, i think. My question is, have I compromised myself in any way?  Will the passwords on my phone be compromised etc?

Many thanks for any information received.

2 minutes ago, JJA said:

I have never done anything like this before but because they had replied to my message, I thought it was genuine.

Could be genuine but I would never spam my contacts for any gift or coupon.

3 minutes ago, JJA said:

My question is, have I compromised myself in any way?  Will the passwords on my phone be compromised etc?

Probably not but you now receive more offers and posts from them in the future.

4 minutes ago, JJA said:

I sent a message to ASDA supermarket on Messenger via my I phone

Out of curiosity, What did you send them?

I watched a TV programme about the awful conditions of migrant workers who are working on farms in Spain. This produce tends to come to supermarkets in the UK and I wanted to make sure that these big supermarkets have a robust ethical policy to make sure they don't buy from farmers who treat their workers badly. 

1 minute ago, JJA said:

I watched a TV programme about the awful conditions of migrant workers who are working on farms in Spain. This produce tends to come to supermarkets in the UK and I wanted to make sure that these big supermarkets have a robust ethical policy to make sure they don't buy from farmers who treat their workers badly. 

I would have used the contact page and actually emailed them instead of using a messenger. Was this Facebook Messenger by chance?

I didn't pass the information on to any contact and never would. In retrospect I definitely don't think it was from ASDA. In fact when looking into this afterwards, it appears to be a common scam to gain personal information. 

Unfortunately, these days there are so many scams and so much junk/spam, you really can't trust any sort of marketing/advertising or much of what you see/read online.  I highly recommend the Malwarebytes Labs blog if you want to learn more about many of the common scams and threats on the web.  It's a great resource for getting educated on the many threats out there and provides guidance on how to deal with them as well as how to avoid them.  Of course you may always ask us here on the forums if you have questions and need help.  We're always happy to help out.