Google to Windows 7 users: Chrome support will run until at least July 2021

sman

You'd have to ask them, but likely for the same reason that Microsoft encourages everyone to upgrade to the latest OS (at least when not simply seeking for their own financial gain); to get users on the latest and (theoretically) most secure OS.  Of course they would not consider that there are edge cases such as my own where I am likely able to keep Windows 7 in a more secure state than Windows 10 will ever be, regardless of what patches might be released for it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just got my new system today too, so perfect timing :)

Windows 7 is up and running and humming along nicely.  I just have a few more things to set up (Steam, my games etc.) and I'll be all set.  I've already got it patched up and locked down with all of my tweaks, mods and security tools running and configured.

FYI for anyone who has chosen to abandon Windows 7 for Windows 10.  Apparently Windows 10 suffers from a new critical vulnerability that impacts digital signature validation and cryptography (the tech that allows you to validate the source of a file and the tech that keeps your communications encrypted/safe from snoopers).

According to Microsoft, neither Windows 7 or 8/8.1 are affected.

Remember what I was saying about 7 being inherently more secure than 10, regardless of patches ;)?

I kid, but it does make you wonder; why does such a weakness exist in Microsoft's new code, and why aren't earlier Windows versions affected?  I wonder what they might have changed to result in this vulnerability existing in 10 and the latest versions of Windows Server.

This doesn't mean that earlier versions of Win10 are bug proof, then no patches to it will will ever be reqd. But sadly, it's not so.. So, csn't take anything for granted. Maybe as the latest WIn 10 is having some teething problems than earlier versions and problems ironed out over time.Let's hope that there are no critical bugs in earlier versions esp. Win 7 to be exploited with EOL..

Just off topic. I am streaming / watching a TV series on SBS (Australia) named 'Valley Of The Boom'. Think it was produced National Geographic in the US as I was unable to view it (Geo Block). Brings back a lot of memories for oldies (me) - Netscape & Microsoft battle in Silicon Valley. 🤣

you can watch all the six series in Hotstar.. "https://www.hotstar.com/in/tv/valley-of-the-boom/s-1972/print-hello-world/1000228838". maybe also in Prime video.

ya. netscape a old rivalry. but faded after windows bloom & chrome, FF started making a mark.

Well that's a different story then.  There is a big difference between stopping testing for compatibility with an OS and actually breaking compatibility with an OS, and I was wondering how, outside of straight up detecting which Windows version it was and refusing to install if it was Windows 7, Google was going to accomplish dropping support for it.  If all they are doing is stopping testing on it, then it shouldn't really matter and Chrome should continue to work with Windows 7 pretty much forever, or at least for as long as Chrome works on 10 (again, I cite the similarities in requirements/API's etc. between the two operating systems with regards to cross-compatibility).

@exile360 Odd why need a separate test when OS version is irrelevant and why ir it expensive?

How google works https://computer.howstuffworks.com/google-chrome-browser7.htm

that process tokens are alloted by chrome for system requests, files/registry keys etc. now as per the article, does this change the working of chrome for win 7 & 10?

And when there are many Javascript engines, does this change the working for different OS versions?

That's up to the Developers and QA team to decide; all I'm saying is that just because Google stops testing on 7/verifying compatibility with 7, that does not mean that new versions will cease to be compatible with 7 because there is very little difference between 7 and 10 when it comes to application compatibility.

Again, it's a matter of compatibility, not testing.  If these companies don't test for Windows 7 compatibility, that doesn't mean that their software won't continue to work with Windows 7.  It is as I said, there is very little difference (in most cases, none) between an application's compatibility with Windows 7 and Windows 10.  If 10 were a dramatically different operating system under the hood with regards to application compatibility then things would be different, however this is not the case, so I suspect that as long as Windows 10 is supported by these applications, they will continue to be compatible with Windows 7.

Here is yet another example illustrating my point; initially it was claimed (by Microsoft) that these games were Windows 10 exclusives, however as soon as they became available through Steam, even though it still listed the system requirements as Windows 10, users found they could install and run the games in Windows 7 without any issues:

This is what I mean when I say that there is no difference in application compatibility and API's between Windows 7 and Windows 10, and why 'abandoning' Windows 7 or leaving it behind for 10 will not work for most software vendors short of deliberately breaking Windows 7 compatibility somehow (a measure most vendors are unlikely to take as it would be extra effort to prevent using their software under an outdated OS with a small install base; not exactly a wise expenditure of effort and time).

Yes, programs should update just fine, even on Windows 7.  Testing is necessary to uncover any unforeseen issues.  I don't know about you, but I have actually worked in QA (Quality Assurance) product testing.  I worked multiple years as QA for Malwarebytes, and one of the tasks I would perform was a full suite of tests on every officially supported operating system, which at the time was Windows XP all the way up to Windows 7, and I had to test on both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Vista and 7.  While Windows 8 was in beta the new OS was not officially supported so we didn't test on it as Malwarebytes has a policy regarding beta OS testing and compatibility, and while we would not officially support it and did not test on it, the application would still install and run just fine in Windows 8.

It is the same with Windows Server versions.  Malwarebytes' consumer applications are not tested on any builds of Windows Server as those operating systems are not officially supported, however many customers have used Malwarebytes on various versions of Windows Server throughout the years.

Just because an OS is not officially supported, that does not mean that it won't work just fine installed on that OS, and in the case of Windows 7 this is even more true since (as I keep having to repeat apparently because you don't seem to grasp the concept), there is virtually no difference with regards to application compatibility between Windows 7 and Windows 10.

So in 4 years or 30 years, as long as Windows 10 remains as it is today with regards to API's and application compatibility, there should be no issues with modern software installing and running on Windows 7.  There just isn't enough different in 10 to break compatibility with 7 for most applications, especially relatively self-contained applications such as web browsers which do not rely on any drivers or low level API's to function.

Even MS has said that it will support EdgeCr in Win 7 until chrome does so, ie. till Jul'21. So, with compatibility not an issue, than does this mean that EdgeCr also, will also be supported unofficially then? But if apps are compatible across win 7/10, why is Edge (legacy) not working in Win 7? 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-to-support-the-new-edge-browser-after-windows-7-eol/