Malwarebytes Browser Guard for Safari

Chas4

Is it possible to do?

Not yet. Apparently there are significant issues in developing a Safari Extension today that will be allowed by Apple restrictions to accomplish what’s necessary.

• 10 months later...

Would this happen to help?

Safari and WebKit

New Features

• Support for Web Extensions is now available. Existing Chrome and Firefox extensions can be converted for Safari using xcrun safari-web-extension-converter and distributed through the App Store for use in Safari 14. (55707949)

• Webpage Translation is now available in the U.S. and Canada. Supported languages include English, Spanish, Simplified Chinese, French, German, Russian, and Brazilian Portuguese. Safari will automatically detect if translation is available based on your Preferred Languages list. (64437861)

Source: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/macos-release-notes/macos-big-sur-11-beta-release-notes#Updates-in-macOS-Big-Sur-11-Beta-3

Yet on the Mac AppStore there have been Norton SafeWeb and Norton Safe Web Plus for some time (which you advised against me, advice I followed given your experience on Mac) and several Ad-Blocks so I don't understand why Malwarebytes' one cannot exist.

@treed can you update us on this?

Edited by MAXBAR1
added a request to @treed

I doubt that any of those will continue to work as well with Safari 14 now.

I gave up on all of them a long time ago and use Pi-Hole DNS to achieve what is needed for my entire local network.

@exile360  I'm sorry but I didn't make myself clear.

I have to connect from two different networks but both of my own (in two different places) and never from public networks.

So I need ad blocker that works independently of the single Lan

And that's why Malwarebytes Browser Guard for Safari (web protection, ad-blocker, etc.) would be useful.

Ah, gotcha, though if nothing else you could set up the network based solution on both, though obviously it would be much more convenient to just have it installed in your browser.

By the way, not being a Mac user myself, do you know if it's possible to install Chrome/Chromium or Firefox on Macs, and if so, does Malwarebytes Browser Guard work/install for them on the OS?  I understand you're requesting it for Safari, I'm just curious.

• Like 1

Yes, you can install Malwarebytes Browser Guard on both Firefox and Chromium Based browsers on macOS.

However, I prefer Safari as, being supplied with the system, it is much better in my opinion.

I use Firefox on Windows. 

To Chrome and the like, being Google, I'm a bit allergic due to the standard total tracking.

I think Safari is much better in terms of privacy. For example, there is no possibility of third-party cookies and uses the Intelligent Tracking Prevention (if you want to read up on this, click here)

You can disable third party cookies via a standard setting in all major browsers, and while I'm certainly no fan of Google's tracking/data harvesting practices, Chromium is open source and there are multiple Chromium based alternatives with Google's tracking etc. stripped out/disabled (such as the browser I use, SRWare Iron), though of course I don't know if any of the Chromium alternatives are available for MacOS or not.

@alvarnell , can you explain something to me?

The web-related part of Malwarebytes for iOS (web protection and ad-blocker) that works on Safari what is different from these new Safari 14 extensions that you think are not implementable?

I use macOS and iOS but know nothing about software development

Thank you

As I cited above, the Developer documentation for Safari 14 extensions say that "BlockingResponse" and "Blocking" Web Requests are not supported.

Not sure why nobody from the staff has chosen to comment here, just that @treed is on a lengthy vacation out-of-state at the moment.

I understood what you wrote above.

It would be nice to know the reasons why Safari 14 for iOS yes and Safari 14 for macOS no: shouldn't  be more or less the same App?

@treed can you update us on this?

Edited by MAXBAR1
added a request to @treed

43 minutes ago, alvarnell said:

just that @treed is on a lengthy vacation out-of-state at the moment.

So that's where he is. I was wondering where he was at. Probably a much needed vacation. I hope he's enjoying it. :)

• Like 1