[ RESOLVED ] My Malwarebytes Software won't update to Version 3.8.3

Hi and new to the forum. I have a legitimate Lifetime Subscription, purchased through Cleverbridge back in 2013. I keep getting the popup window to install the new version (currently have 3.7.3829), but every time I click on the install button nothing happens and then the popup window goes away. I keep getting this popup message, but it never will install. I disconnected Norton Security, and VooDoo Shield and I get the same results. I have never had this problem in the past with update or new version installs.

Also on my account under my subscriptions, it shows the license key and ID the same as the copy of the invoice receipt, I have in my files. It also shows device 0 of 1. I have always run it on the same laptop, with a Windows 7 OS,  that I used when I originally purchased the subscription. With the lack of Windows 7 support in January, by Microsoft,  I plan on purchasing a new laptop prior to that date with a 10 OS. Would it  be better to enter my current device on my account (to update now) , wait till I get a new laptop and enter that info then, or does it even make any difference?  Thank you for your time and assistance and have a great day.

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column
    0. UI.png
  7. Click the Gather Logs button
    17. Advanced.png
  8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    19. System Repair Progress.png
  9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
  10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

13 minutes ago, JT4208 said:

Would it  be better to enter my current device on my account (to update now) , wait till I get a new laptop and enter that info then, or does it even make any difference?

To me it is up to you. I would try the support tool in the hidden content under technical issues and do a clean install with the tool.

@JT4208    Hi,  It is quite possible the dialog windows for the upgrade got hidden behind the other open windows on the monitor-display.

My advice is:  Close all open apps/windows.  Do a Windows Restart.  & dont open any extraneous apps.

Start Malwarebytes, click on Settings
then click Applications tab
then click on Install Application Updates

image.png.49c106aa16219845637da0a48729170f.png

Allow it time to check for Updates. Then when prompted, follow the prompts to have the latest 

Click on YES when you get re-prompted.   Watch & monitor all of the process.

Let us know if this works for you.

NOTE:

It is not mandatory for you to have a entry in My Account to do a upgrade  ,  ( or a deactivate / reactive  if it comes to that)

Thank you Porthos and Maurice for your responses and your suggestions.  To start with, I went into the MB  Settings and then clicked on "Install Application Updates". After  the software had finished the checking, I got the message that your updates are current. Then the new version install box appeared again. I clicked on it and the same thing happened. It disappeared.  So after that I downloaded the software tool, and then the software tool went through the four steps and fixed the issue(s). and downloaded Version 3.8.3.2965. After completion,  I got a message that there should be no more issues,  It also did not effect my MB Premium Lifetime Account. My computer even booted up faster this morning, as it has been really slow the last three weeks are so.  I don't know if the software tool fix had anything to do with it, but I just thought that I would mention that  Since the software tool fixed the issue, I didn't even do the logs. Maybe I should have?

Again thank you to the both of you, for your concern, in wanting to help me solve the issue. I hope you have a great day or evening.

You are welcome.  I am understanding that the pc now has version 3.8.3

Just take a new look on the Dashboard and see that all is normal.

On these comments about the earlier  ( older ) update attempt 

Then the new version install box appeared again. I clicked on it and the same thing happened. It disappeared.

My  frank educated guess is that the small window and the subsequent update-window was not in view ( up front) but got displayed in back.

In other words, the screens from the then running apps were covering up the Update dialog.

This is why I recommend to always do a Windows Restart before doing a new Version update attempt, and to not have open other "apps".

A Windows Restart does wonders.

I am glad to know that your machine has the latest Version 3.8.3

Cheers,