Question to my fellow experts and admins

nosirrah

Does anyone else like the idea of splitting "newest rogue threats" into two categories ?

1. Rogues advertised by or installed by spam , trojans , exploits or other malicious means .

2. Rogues that are without question rogue but require the user to intentionally download the software and the advertising for the rogue is at least semi legit .

At the very least it would help prioritize what order in which rogues should be added into RR defs .

• 5 months later...

good idea in theory but in practice very difficult

the rogues change from day to day & what was a "good" rogue ( one you believe the advertising but the product is as useful as a chocolate fireguard) can overnight change & be advertised by or installed by spam , trojans , exploits or other malicious means

good idea in theory but in practice very difficult

the rogues change from day to day & what was a "good" rogue ( one you believe the advertising but the product is as useful as a chocolate fireguard) can overnight change & be advertised by or installed by spam , trojans , exploits or other malicious means

This doesn't mean the rogue won't get added it was for prioritizing testing. If you note this thread is nearly 6 months old.

I am tempted to suggest a 3rd category ;'Crapware'. Security software which is legitimate in so much as it is neither rogue or malicious

but fully meets the definition of 'chocolate fireguard'. I can think of quite a few 'Big' names but on this occasion it's probably best to

excercise self-censorship. Any suggestions??

I could come up with a list of well known names also that I certainly don't recommend to users. Prime example are the recent toolbar additions to AVG, and ZoneAlarm, WebRoot has gone down a dark path too. Then there are the Spyhunters and Cyberdefender types that walk a slippery slope just a half step this side of full blown rogue.

Marcin and Jack have a set of rules to define what gets included and what doesn't. None of the programs I named make the cut. This also keeps RR a reputable program with integrity.

Opinions expressed by me are mine and mine alone.