Windows 7 updates

nov1

No, just let it get the updates. 

Depending on how long the PC has not been updated, you may get a lot.  Do that batch and then install them.  Then go back to Windows Update and see if there are more and repeat it until the PC is up-to-date.

On the bright side, Microsoft has been doing regular monthly rollups of updates for 7 for a while now so the grand total of patches you'll have to install should be far fewer than it used to be, especially since many updates have been replaced by/rolled into cumulative update packages.  Just be sure to restart when prompted to complete the installation of each set of updates then check for updates again and install any that remain, then reboot if prompted and check again, and even if not prompted to reboot after an update finishes installing, go ahead and check for updates again once it completes anyway since some updates which require no reboot are deliberately delivered alone as they cannot be installed at the same time as other updates (I've seen this happen when updating my own Windows 7 system) and just keep checking/updating until no new updates are available.

Of course it is also a good idea to have the latest drivers for your hardware components handy following a reinstallation of Windows, so I would also advise visiting your system manufacturer's website along with the sites for the various primary components of your system to get their latest drivers/software (i.e. Intel, NVIDIA, AMD/ATI, Broadcom, Realtek, Brother, Killer Networking, Samsung etc.) and if you have any trouble tracking any of them down, let us know and we can most likely assist you, including if you have trouble identifying the maker of any particular hardware component(s).

On 10/24/2018 at 2:42 PM, exile360 said:

On the bright side, Microsoft has been doing regular monthly rollups of updates for 7 for a while now so the grand total of patches you'll have to install should be far fewer than it used to be, especially since many updates have been replaced by/rolled into cumulative update packages.  Just be sure to restart when prompted to complete the installation of each set of updates then check for updates again and install any that remain, then reboot if prompted and check again, and even if not prompted to reboot after an update finishes installing, go ahead and check for updates again once it completes anyway since some updates which require no reboot are deliberately delivered alone as they cannot be installed at the same time as other updates (I've seen this happen when updating my own Windows 7 system) and just keep checking/updating until no new updates are available.

Of course it is also a good idea to have the latest drivers for your hardware components handy following a reinstallation of Windows, so I would also advise visiting your system manufacturer's website along with the sites for the various primary components of your system to get their latest drivers/software (i.e. Intel, NVIDIA, AMD/ATI, Broadcom, Realtek, Brother, Killer Networking, Samsung etc.) and if you have any trouble tracking any of them down, let us know and we can most likely assist you, including if you have trouble identifying the maker of any particular hardware component(s).

Really appreciate the support!

small update: my monitor wire socket didn't match the computer port and therefore i'm going to need to buy a new monitor

What David says above is quite accurate.  You can generally convert between nearly all standard monitor connection types via relatively inexpensive adapters (far cheaper than a new monitor, that's for certain); generally in the range a few dollars to maybe $20~$40 depending on the connection types that you need to convert between/connect.