Is MWB 3.5.1 stable?

2 hours ago, exile360 said:

I saw mention of Java so I thought I'd post this just in case it is relevant.  If you don't absolutely require Java for something really important, UNINSTALL IT.  Not to be rude with the bold/red text, but it is that serious.  Java is by far one of the most notorious web facing plugins/applications for being frequently exploited and prone to vulnerabilities, and yes, while it does receive updates frequently, new security holes are always found within it and this I believe is primarily because of its very nature and purpose as a tool designed to execute active code and applications through a web interface, something that can very easily be turned to a malicious purpose by the bad guys.

I have more info about this as well as links and info for more easily managing and maintaining Flash Player updates in my topic here.  It includes a link to an article that details info on why removing Java is a good idea unless you absolutely must have it for some web based app that you use on a regular basis and can't do without (like an application for your work or even some addictive web based game that requires it; something I can totally understand if that's the case).

That is very helpful for which I thank you. I have uninstalled Java.

3 hours ago, lmacri said:

Hi wendivad:

Just another quick thought about your software updating problems and other glitchy behaviour.  I'd also suggest uninstalling (not updating) your outdated µTorrent v2.0.4 (the current version is v3.5.4) and see if that helps.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Premium v22.15.0.88 * MB Free v3.5.1.2522-1.0.365

That one is an interesting one as I have actually been advise that, if you find a stable version of uTorrent then stick with it and avoid upgrades. That was the rationale presented by a big bootleg music file sharing site that I use and have done for many years. I'll try what you suggest as I know that I can always go back to the older version if this one is unstable.

EDIT: That was interesting. I went to the official uTorrent site and MWB blocked it stating that is has Adware! ? I tried downloading the update fronm the app and of course it doesn't work.

Edited by wendivad

FYI, there is a portable build of uTorrent in case you wish to try the updated version or keep a copy of the older version around for compatibility etc.  I don't know if older builds of the portable version are readily available, but they probably are or at least the latest is I'm sure and you should have much less trouble locating an installer for the standard build of a previous version so you can test that way, removing your existing version, saving its installer to reinstall later if need be, and test with the up to date portable build to see if things improve with that version.

I can track down some links if you need them.  It's been a while since I've used any Bittorrent clients but I do still have a copy of one of the portable versions saved on disk so I'm sure I can track down where to download it again (it was likely Portableapps.com, but I'm not positive).

1 hour ago, exile360 said:

FYI, there is a portable build of uTorrent in case you wish to try the updated version or keep a copy of the older version around for compatibility etc.  I don't know if older builds of the portable version are readily available, but they probably are or at least the latest is I'm sure and you should have much less trouble locating an installer for the standard build of a previous version so you can test that way, removing your existing version, saving its installer to reinstall later if need be, and test with the up to date portable build to see if things improve with that version.

I can track down some links if you need them.  It's been a while since I've used any Bittorrent clients but I do still have a copy of one of the portable versions saved on disk so I'm sure I can track down where to download it again (it was likely Portableapps.com, but I'm not positive).

Thanks I would appreciate that! I don't actually download much nowadays but I am seeding a lot of older shares - primarily Eric Clapton shows that I have on HD.

1 hour ago, wendivad said:

That one is an interesting one as I have actually been advise that, if you find a stable version of uTorrent then stick with it and avoid upgrades. That was the rationale presented by a big bootleg music file sharing site that I use and have done for many years. I'll try what you suggest as I know that I can always go back to the older version if this one is unstable.

EDIT: That was interesting. I went to the official uTorrent site and MWB blocked it stating that is has Adware! ? I tried downloading the update fronm the app and of course it doesn't work.

Hi wendivad:

The Malwarebytes forum has a strict Piracy Policy that you should review.  Users who request assistance with malware removal in their Malware Removal Help & Support board are instructed <here> that "If you're using Peer 2 Peer software such as uTorrent or similar please completely disable it from running while being assisted here" and I know of a few technical forums that will decline to assist users until torrent downloader software is disabled or uninstalled.

Again, be careful about making any changes to your system while your support ticket is open.  I don't know what assistance Malwarebytes Customer Support is currently providing but it can be very difficult to troubleshoot problems if a user starts making changes to their system after submitting diagnostic logs.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Premium v22.15.0.88 * MB Free v3.5.1.2522-1.0.365

Edited by lmacri

I found the portable build here.  Also, I do believe uTorrent started bundling some kind of adware in their installers (not an issue with the portable build, obviously because it of course uses no installer) and that's why Malwarebytes flags it.  You can check online to find more info about it to make sure that you are able to opt out of installing the adware/PUP bundled with it before you go through with any installation just to be on the safe side.

Also, regarding lmacri's comments above, I apologize, I didn't realize you were working with Support in a ticket already so of course you should heed that advice regarding not making any changes unless instructed to by the Support member helping you as that could cause confusion while they're working to diagnose and correct the issue.

5 hours ago, exile360 said:

I found the portable build here.  Also, I do believe uTorrent started bundling some kind of adware in their installers (not an issue with the portable build, obviously because it of course uses no installer) and that's why Malwarebytes flags it.  You can check online to find more info about it to make sure that you are able to opt out of installing the adware/PUP bundled with it before you go through with any installation just to be on the safe side.

Also, regarding lmacri's comments above, I apologize, I didn't realize you were working with Support in a ticket already so of course you should heed that advice regarding not making any changes unless instructed to by the Support member helping you as that could cause confusion while they're working to diagnose and correct the issue.

Many thanks. I'll hold off applying this until I am done with Support.

8 hours ago, lmacri said:

Hi wendivad:

The Malwarebytes forum has a strict Piracy Policy that you should review.  Users who request assistance with malware removal in their Malware Removal Help & Support board are instructed <here> that "If you're using Peer 2 Peer software such as uTorrent or similar please completely disable it from running while being assisted here" and I know of a few technical forums that will decline to assist users until torrent downloader software is disabled or uninstalled.

Again, be careful about making any changes to your system while your support ticket is open.  I don't know what assistance Malwarebytes Customer Support is currently providing but it can be very difficult to troubleshoot problems if a user starts making changes to their system after submitting diagnostic logs.
----------

Thanks for the heads up and I am aware of the definition "As a reminder, using pirated software or utilities that allows one to pirate software (e.g. cracks, key generators, registration/license removal, redirection, or workaround utilities, etc.) is not a safe practice and can lead to malware infection, ransomware attack, or even legal action."

I am not involved in this in any way as defined in the quotes - as I said I share music that is not available commercially and in fan based communities that would ban anyone sharing commercially available music and delete links that did that. I don't think I am breaking any rules here. Also, the version that I have has been there for several years and through various versions of MWB.