Real Time Protection

When I open Malwarebytes, I get notification that not all real-time protection is turned on.  However, when I try to start:

Real-Time Protection
Web Protection:  Prevents connecgtion t malicious or compromised websites.

The word "starting" pops up and just hovers there.  It never turns on.  Any thoughts, advice?

Today, a small screen in the lower right hand corner of my monitor popped up and will not go away:  It states:

Real-Time Protection layers turned off

One or more Real-Time protection layers are turned off.  Turn on all Real-Time Protection layers to block and prevent threats.

However, when I click on the "turn on" button, nothing happens.

Any advice will be appreciated.  Thanks.

Greetings and welcome,

I'm sorry that you're having trouble with Web Protection.  Hopefully we can get you fixed up.

First off, please gather some logs for us so that the team may troubleshoot the issue in case a bug in the software is at fault.  This will also help us to diagnose the cause of the problem:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced Options on the main page (not Get Started)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Second, please make certain you're running the latest version, 3.5.1.  If you aren't, then please open Malwarebytes and navigate to Settings>Application and click on the Install Application Updates button and allow it to download and install the latest version or you may download and install it manually from here, making sure to restart your system once the installation is complete (even if you aren't prompted to do so in order to ensure that they new versions of the services and drivers are loaded).

If that doesn't resolve the issue then please go ahead and do the following:

Right-click on the Malwarebytes tray icon and select Quit Malwarebytes and click Yes to the User Account Control prompt
Next, click on START and type cmd in the search box and once you see cmd.exe listed at the top, right-click on it and select Run as administrator.  This should open up a command prompt.
In the command prompt, enter the following text and press Enter:

SC DELETE MBAMWebProtection

Once that is done, open Malwarebytes again and Web Protection should work.  Also check to make sure that all of the other protection components are turned on as they may have been disabled when you deleted that item, but you should be able to turn all of them back on and they should all be functioning normally after that.  Please let us know if it does not resolve the issue or if there are any additional problems.

Hey exile360, I was having the same problem - web protection was off and would not turn on. My version was 3.4xxx (not sure now what all the numbers after 3.4 were!). I followed your advice above and the latest version was installed. That fixed the web protection issue. However I have the program set to automatically download and install program updates. Isn't that working anymore? Should I regularly use the Install Application Updates button instead?

Thanks!

Jim

It's working, it's just that the way they have it configured, program version upgrades are metered out semi-randomly rather than pushing them out to everyone all at once.  You can refer to this post for a bit more detail on how it works.

The Install Application Updates button forces it to check for and download any available program updates, so if you always want to make certain you have the latest version, then clicking that button occasionally is your best bet (I'd recommend doing so maybe once a month, like when you install your Windows Updates and other patches or more frequently if you desire).

Typically a new version of Malwarebytes is released every 3~6 months, so that's how often you can expect to see a new version becoming available to install.  This can vary of course depending on release scheduling and bugs/issues discovered during development and beta testing, but usually that's how the timing works out.