PUP.Optional.Simplitec - False Positive or Actual Threat?

Malwarebytes recently found something called PUP.Optional.Simplitec and has quarantined it. Before removing it, I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what it was? It was found in the program files of MAGIX Music Maker 80's Edition which makes me wonder if it's part of that programs files, and so I'm hesistant to delete it.

I've attached an image showing the exact file path and item that was quarantined.

PUPSimplitec.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Hello @deltahalo241 and :welcome:

Can you please run the following for me so that I can get all the logs from the program to verify if maybe it's a false positive or not.

Please provide the following logs and we'll verify what is actually going on with your system or Malwarebytes program.

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link - do not click Get Started

welcome mbst.png

• Click the Gather Logs button

gatherlogs.png
  • A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply.

Thanks

Ron

On 5/17/2018 at 7:20 AM, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @deltahalo241 and :welcome:

Can you please run the following for me so that I can get all the logs from the program to verify if maybe it's a false positive or not.

Please provide the following logs and we'll verify what is actually going on with your system or Malwarebytes program.

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link - do not click Get Started

welcome mbst.png

• Click the Gather Logs button

gatherlogs.png
  • A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply.

Thanks

Ron

Hey Ron

Thanks for getting back to me regarding my problem, though as some time has passed since I made this post I've already sought out support elsewhere and have dealt with the issue. For future reference however, it seems that MAGIX purchased a company called Simplitec at some point and sometimes bundle trials for Simplitec's software with their own. This is what Malwarebytes had identified.

I chose to remove it in the end as it had no bearing on the actual program I wanted to use, and I wasn't interested in purchashing it either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks