Is Eset and Malwarebtyes good together?

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

10 hours ago, exile360 said:

In case it's helpful, I recently used Malwarebytes alongside ESET in realtime on Windows 7x64 for a couple of years and had not issues at all, performance or otherwise.

I am going to ask you the same question I asked before 100 times without answer.

While you were using ESET and MBAM, did you have any significant detection initiated by MBAM ( other than web protection) and not covered by ESET???

Thanks!

2 hours ago, lock said:

While you were using ESET and MBAM, did you have any significant detection initiated by MBAM ( other than web protection) and not covered by ESET???

Actually, yes, I did.  On multiple occasions I had Malwarebytes block exploits that ESET didn't detect at all, even though I even had its HIPS component active and turned up to higher than normal settings.  Most of them were exploits on websites, usually from malvertisements, though at least a few times they actually came from compromised legit websites and on several occasions it came from malicious documents attached to spam/scam emails (in the case of the attachments, I would deliberately try loading them to verify that Malwarebytes would detect them just in case it turned out to be something I needed to submit to the Research team for analysis). In addition to that, I also came across several attachments which were EXEs designed to look like documents (usually PDFs, but occasionally Word Docs) and while a few of these were detected by ESET, most of them got right by it and were nailed by the heuristics in Malwarebytes.

1 minute ago, lock said:

There is no "higher than normal settings" in HIPS of ESET

Actually there are, or at least there were in the version I was using (it was ESET NOD32 Antivirus, latest build at the point I last used it which was several months ago).  By default several of the HIPS settings are disabled/inactive under the advanced configuration settings.  I turned most of them on so that it would be more paranoid than normal.

10 hours ago, exile360 said:

Actually there are...

HIPS by default has all basic settings ON, see attachment. Most likely you played with settings making ESET less effective. As you can see, there is an exploit blocker in ESET and a ransomware shield.

HIPS.jpg

Edited by lock

I spent days doing research.  I did not make it less effective, and those are not all of the settings I saw.  There was an advanced interface (notice how your screenshot says BASIC?) that included things like adding additional rules, disabling automatic mode, turning on startup modification notifications and several other things.  I scoured their documentation, various forums with user discussions and technical articles to make it as strict and secure as I possibly could (I was pretty paranoid about security back then).