AVG wants me to uninstall Malwarebytes

Long time customer of AVG - 15 years or so.   Also long time user of unpaid version of Malwarebytes - 10 years plus.  

No conflict issues between to two programmes until I recently upgraded to the paid version of Malwarebytes.  

After returning home from being away for a few days, I checked AVG was up to date and found this message on the AVG dashboard: "AVG is now in passive mode - another antivirus programme is running on your PC - uninstall Malwarebytes".  

What has changed ?  AVG used to be perfectly happy co-existing with Malwarebytes.   

Do I cancel my paid subscription to Malwarebytes and revert to the unpaid - AVG friendly - version ?

Or do I keep going with Malwarebytes and cancel my paid sub to AVG ?

Suggestions please !

Greetings and welcome,

Yes, unfortunately in one of the recent updates to AVG they changed it so that they no longer allow their protection to run while Malwarebytes protection is also active.  There is at least one thing you can try to work around this issue as there really should be no actual conflicts between the two in realtime as we continue to develop our software to be compatible with other antivirus and antimalware solutions, including AVG.

Open Malwarebytes and under Settings>Application find the "Windows Action Center" setting and select the option "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center" then restart your PC to see if AVG returns to normal with Malwarebytes' protection active.

You can also try adding exclusions in AVG for Malwarebytes if you haven't already to see if that helps.  The list of items to exclude may be found here.

Please let us know if that resolves the issue or not.

If that does not work, then obviously we'd recommend you stick with Malwarebytes.  Our latest version uses multiple layers to keep your system, data and privacy safe from online threats and as new threats and attack vectors emerge we continue to develop new methods and technologies to counteract them.  We do not require you to pay a higher price to get some "suite" or "complete" version; we believe that if you paid for our software to protect your PC, then you should have the absolute best, most robust solution we can provide to keep you free of malware.  This means that as one of our customers, you will always have the absolute best protection we can offer and that you will always be eligible for any upgrades/new versions we release as long as your subscription is active.

Edited by exile360

Many thanks, exile 360, for your advice.

I carried out your suggested actions viz:

'Open Malwarebytes and under Settings>Application find the "Windows Action Center" setting and select the option "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center" then restart your PC to see if AVG returns to normal with Malwarebytes' protection active'.

On restarting my computer, I found both AVG and Malwarebytes are happily co-existing together again:

• AVG reports: 'you are fully protected' with the usual 5 green ticks.
  • Malwarebytes reports: 'awesome - you're protected' with 7 green ticks on their dashboard.

So, all good now.   Thanks again for helping me sort this one out.

ackagee

This same problem has been driving me crazy today! 

AVG was no help at all.  I should have checked here first,   this solution worked for me without even needing a restart.  !  Brilliant.

:-)

5t.

Ps:

on the down side:  I had to register to join this forum and make this comment.  There's a recaptcha in the sign up form, no problem, but there's also a human-testing question.  Normally these are ok. but this one asked "what day is the 4th of july on " -  well.. I looked it up on my calendar, in 2017 it was Tuesday, and in 2018 it's wednesday.  I tried both of these and they weren't accepted.. I'm not really sure what kind of answer they're looking for?!  Thankfully, it changed questions my 4th time trying

When I first tried selecting the option "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center", it didn't help in getting AVG Free out of passive mode either before or after rebooting. First, I tried getting rid of AVG Free and installing Microsoft Security Essentials instead. Yesterday, I realized that the latter was probably not up to much (although very easy to use), and reinstalled AVG Free, while unwillingly reverting to Malwarebytes Free. Today, I thought I would try reactivating my licence for Malwarebytes Premium (3.2.2), and then selecting the option "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center". I am glad to report that AVG has not yet reverted to passive mode either before or after rebooting or scanning consecutively with AVG and then Malwarebytes. This has worked on Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit).