uninstall

On 8/3/2017 at 3:20 PM, alphonseM said:

Not a fan of the persistent menu icon of MBA3 on Mac. Neither do I like how difficult it is to uninstall (why no easy way to quit the application) nor the forced trial of your pro solution. 

I understand that you're trying to make money, but this is not the way.  

You are able to turn the menu bar icon off within settings.  Also, if you chose not to purchase the protection, you would then be simply "downgraded" to the on-demand version of the software.  

Customer comments are a great thing, though...  I will just say that it would be nice to have a free, on demand stand-alone app.  Anyways, I purchased my copy because even though I am a pro at computing, both Windows and Mac, this new malware seems to get by my scanners at the oddest times!  It's just safer this way.  :-)

598523a915c8d_ScreenShot2017-08-04at8_45_14PM.png.0031d0f14f243410d9cb9b317b4e707e.png

Edited by iLeopard

• 3 weeks later...

USING THE UNINSTALLER AS DESCRIBED BY "THOMAS" DOES NOT WORK. I TRY TO DRAG IT INTO WASTEBASKET IMAGE I GET A "NO" SYMBOL. NOTHING HAPPENS. HAVE BEEN TRYING TO UNINSTALL FOR DAYS. YOUR PRODUCT USED TO BE GOOD AND UNOBSTRUSIVE THIS SUCKS NOW. IT ABSOLTUELY SUCKS IT KILLS MY MEMORY, YOU MAKE IT IMPOSSIBE TO WORK WITH. GET IT THE HELL OFF MY COMPTUER. MALWARE BYTES NOW IS MALWARE ITSELF.

I restarted in Safe Boot and couldn't find it! Whew! I was relieved! Then I restarted into regular AND IT"S STILL THERE.  Image when I click on the M that I can't get out of Menu Bar claims it's gone BUT it's still there. It's still running processes that I see in Activity Monitor. Before I got to the level of frustration of just wanting to delete this off my computer, I just saw that the RTProtectionDaemon was killing my resources, so I stopped it from Malware Bytes in the menu bar. AND IT KEPT RUNNING AND KILLING ALL MY RESOURCES. The screenshot proving that I know how to choose "Stop Real-Time Protection" is from my tweet yesterday, all other screenshots here are from today.

Too bad. Used to be a nice, functional, unobtrusive product. Maybe you outsourced this new version that you foisted on us, telling us to update from our simple free versions? You guys have turned into the new version of those "download my internet search toolbar!" adwares that plagued us years ago.

image.png.3da5fea29fe4299407931de905d1582e.png

image.png.21f85cb759aa8474fc34c9ab922c5243.png

image.png

image.png

I restarted in Safe Boot and couldn't find it! Whew! I was relieved! Then I restarted into regular AND IT"S STILL THERE.  Image when I click on the M that I can't get out of Menu Bar claims it's gone BUT it's still there. It's still running processes that I see in Activity Monitor. Before I got to the level of frustration of just wanting to delete this off my computer, I just saw that the RTProtectionDaemon was killing my resources, so I stopped it from Malware Bytes in the menu bar. AND IT KEPT RUNNING AND KILLING ALL MY RESOURCES. The screenshot proving that I know how to choose "Stop Real-Time Protection" is from my tweet yesterday, all other screenshots here are from today.

Too bad. Used to be a nice, functional, unobtrusive product. Maybe you outsourced this new version that you foisted on us, telling us to update from our simple free versions? You guys have turned into the new version of those "download my internet search toolbar!" adwares that plagued us years ago.

image.png.3da5fea29fe4299407931de905d1582e.png

image.png.21f85cb759aa8474fc34c9ab922c5243.png

• Staff
10 hours ago, LETMEUNINSTALLYUJERKS said:

USING THE UNINSTALLER AS DESCRIBED BY "THOMAS" DOES NOT WORK. I TRY TO DRAG IT INTO WASTEBASKET IMAGE I GET A "NO" SYMBOL.

You don't drag anything "into" the uninstaller. As I mentioned, you run the Remove Malwarebytes.pkg uninstaller. Double-click it, follow along with the prompts and in less than 30 seconds you're done.

• 4 months later...

Hello Thomas / treed,

The version i had was  3.1.1.505  I deleted and emptied my trash before reading your post.  Does that mean i have to reinstall that version to get to the .pkg uninstaller?

The problem is that the Malware icon is still in the toolbar. 

Thanks, Nic

Edited by Nic

In the Finder, choose Go to Folder from the Go menu. In the window that opens, paste the following path:

/Library/Application Support/Malwarebytes/MBAM/Engine.bundle/Contents/Resources/Remove_Malwarebytes.pkg

Then click the Go button.

Run the Remove_Malwarebytes.pkg file that is revealed in the window that opens.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can’t completely uninstall an application manually, I’d recommend to use a Cleanmymac tool. It has an “Uninstaller” utility which is available in trial mode - you don’t have to buy a license. Tick the software you wish to uninstall, and then hit "Run". It will make a complete uninstall (dragging apps to the trash usually leaves a bunch of hidden files taking up your system memory). 

Edited by treed
Removed link to tool that shouldn't be used.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would like to point out that while the issue of uninstalling MalwareBytes with a uninstaller is perhaps necessarily because of the way MalwareBytes works with mac OS .... it is easy to understand the user's frustration and mistake particularly since it seemed that English may not have been the users first language and the MalwareBytes uninstaller icon is a "Trash Can" and that iconography is a Apple UI clue to drag something to it ..... so I get the user misunderstanding..... Perhaps MalwareBytes, Inc. needs to reconsider that UI clue....

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2018 at 7:03 AM, treed said:

Using "cleaning" tools to remove software is never the right way to go. Always use the uninstall functionality provided by the developer of the software.

Hey have you ever considered that with the amount of bad feedback you guys are getting with this issue that the problem might be on your end? All I have seen in these endless threads is responses from you blaming the user for not properly using the uninstaller. As another user said, this is not the way to make money. You know what you're doing, don't act innocent. Updates need to be made to your "trial" version because it is starting to become a joke that malwarebytes gives you spam when the whole purpose is that it is supposed to be removing it.