Blue Coat K-9 Web Protection

Exclusions don't seem to help. We've been able to replicate this internally, so for now I'd recommend disabling one of the two protections. Bluecoat can be disabled by running services.msc, stopping the Bluecoat K9 Web Protection service, and changing the service type to disabled. MB3 Web Protection can be disabled by opening Malwarebytes and going to Settings -> Protection, and then toggling Web Protection off.

• 5 weeks later...
1 minute ago, nethru said:

Was the K-9/MB issue ever resolved?

Here are the high level items fixed:

• Improved performance with Microsoft Edge 
  • Some additional memory usage enhancements
  • Fixed an issue where the “Enable self-protection early start” setting could interfere with upgrades   
  • Fixed a conflict with K9 Web Protection
  • Several other miscellaneous crash and defect fixes  

1 hour ago, isaacl said:

Still appears to be an issue, on the few computers that I tested on...

We need som diagnostic logs to help you out.

• Create and obtain an mb-check log
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area
  • Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Attach both of these logs to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the files to the attachment area

Have to actually upgrade again and hope it doesn't BSOD long enough to get that, will try running that a bit later, but the BSOD is still showing the same bckd.sys file, and it should be relatively easy to reproduce, a friend had the same issue last night.

19 minutes ago, isaacl said:

Have to actually upgrade again and hope it doesn't BSOD long enough to get that, will try running that a bit later

Do a CLEAN install.

Let us get a clean install of the current version.

We have another tool called MB-Clean which will automate the whole process for you.

Tool can be found at https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean

1. After downloading the tool run the tool.

2. The tool will automatically clean up the older possibly damaged installation and will ask you for a restart.

3. Restart your system and then the MB-Clean tool will prompt you to re-install the latest product .

4. Click on "Yes" to reinstall MB 3.×.

5. Now you will have the latest product installed.

Please let me know if you are still seeing issues after the latest product install.

• 1 month later...

Still have to run through the steps above, but seeing on multiple computers that after updating Malwarebytes to 3.1.2, which solved some other issues I was seeing with 3.0.6 (Word was freezing, etc) when I have K9 on the computer with the Malwarebytes Web Protection on, Chrome can't go to google.com, unless I restart the K9 service or turn the Web Protection option off.

Going to do a clean install shortly to test, but just wanted to post this first...

Ran the MB-Clean tool, had to manually reinstall Mawarebytes afterwards because it wasn't downloading correctly, but once it was reinstalled and the Premium version activated, I'm again getting the same issue - anything trying to use Google shows this in Chrome:

This site can’t be reached

www.google.com’s server DNS address could not be found.
Try:
Checking the connection
Checking the proxy, firewall, and DNS configuration
Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

Haven't seen any BSOD's since upgrading, so hopefully that's better, but this issue with Google being blocked (and I haven't noticed any other sites being blocked so far) seems really weird.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks.

Edit: Just found this post:

Going to try that, weird that it was never an issue on previous MB versions...

Edited by isaacl