Avast Free reports Malwarebytes 3.1.2.1733 as incomaptible

I'm currently running Malwarebytes Premium 3.1.2.1733 alongside Avast Free, currently at v. 17.4.2294 (build 3482.0). The two seemed to coexist happily and I've added exclusions to both programs - see this post for Porthos' excellent guide

However, another problem has just surfaced for me - I carried out a repair install to Avast in the Add/Remove programs options to try to resolve some problems with the Software Updater Module and, when the repair had finished, got a message on the screen saying something like "Incompatible antivirus detected - Malwarebytes - we strongly recommend uninstalling"

The two programs seem to run together nevertheless - is it perhaps best to change settings in Malwarebytes to "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Centre"?

14 minutes ago, TempLost said:

"Incompatible antivirus detected - Malwarebytes - we strongly recommend uninstalling"

Many AV products have done that over the years. It is the easiest excuse to avoid support issues. 

16 minutes ago, TempLost said:

is it perhaps best to change settings in Malwarebytes to "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Centre"?

I have done that as well just in case.

16 minutes ago, TempLost said:

see this post for Porthos' excellent guide

Thanks for the mention.

3 minutes ago, TempLost said:

Thanks, Porthos, I'll change the Windows Action Centre settings...........

I have noticed with Defender that when I disable Defender it won't come back on easily if I don't set that in MB. Don't know about other AV programs. So I just do it anyway.