Unable to connect the service

Using Dell XPS8700, Win 7 SP1, MBAM Lifetime License

While running MBAM 2.0.0, received a message to update to 3.0 which I did. The V3.0 program would not run and displayed the error message "Unable to connect the service". Sent this to MBAM support, but have not heard back yet.

Used mbam-clean to fully uninstall MBAM and downloaded and installed MBAM 2.2.1.1043 which is running with no problem ... except it pops up a window every 15 to 20 minutes asking to install version 3 which I'm not willing to do until MBAM fixes whatever problem they're having with "...connecting the service".

If anyone happens to have the answer to the "service" question, please let me know.
If not, can anyone tell me how to turn off that irritating install pop-up?

Thanks
EdP

Hello and Welcome...

The upgrade from v2 to v3 sometimes does not go smoothly.  You can try the steps below (and install the latest CU4 beta and it should correct your issues. (if you decide on staying on v2 a little longer let me know and I will give you instructions on how to disable the v3 upgrade)

Let's try this first.... (Please remember to de-activate your Malwarebytes first before un-installing or using the clean removal tool)

1. Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - Malwarebytes mb-clean tool (after uninstalling you can download the latest version to re-install from HERE) (If you prefer to test the latest Malwarebytes 3.0.6 CU4 -- BETA Preview which corrects many issues with the current version you can get it from HERE)
  2. If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and attach to your next reply the 4 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 4 logs are: mbam logs zipped, FRST.txt, Addition.txt and mb-checkResult.txt)
  3. NOTE: More info about Malwarebytes 3.0.6 CU4 HERE; MB 3 User Guide ONLINE; MB 3 User Guide PDF; MB 3 FAQ: Malwarebytes 3.0 - Frequently Asked Questions

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank You,

Firefox

Thanks for the incredibly quick responses - much appreciated.

I'm not running F-Secure (an antivirus program, cjp), but I am running Webroot 9.0.15 and SAS 6.0 as well as Windows Defender. They've all been getting along with MBAM 2.0 for quite some time.

EdP

38 minutes ago, Firefox said:

(if you decide on staying on v2 a little longer let me know and I will give you instructions on how to disable the v3 upgrade)

Firefox ...

I'm a little "under the gun" at the time, so could you let me have the instructions to disable that pop-up?

Thanks very much

EdP

I did this as suggested and it didn't work.  I never got the command prompt window when I used mb-clean tool. I don't have the log file on my desktop either.  In my notification icon program it still shows version 3.0.6 and I have chosen show icon and notifications, but when I select that it says "notification icon is not currently active."  Malwarebytes version 2.2.1.1043 is still there in my programs list when I click on uninstall a program.

Edited by cjp

Well, I have a MWB disc from 2013, so I guess I'll just uninstall version 2.2.1.1043 that shows in my programs and use this 4 year old disc to reinstall, like I've done before, and then just do all the updates.  At this point I've paid for something and it's not working.

2 hours ago, Firefox said:

No need to use the disk, if you want the latest version 2 simply get it from HERE, then use the ID and KEY that came with the disc to activate it.

Thank you Firefox!  I went ahead and used that old disc and ended up with a really old version LOL.  I thought it would update back to the 2.2.1.1043 but it didn't and I didn't know how to find that version.

I'm back to what I had before I tried the upgrade, thank you.