3.0.6.1458 Ransomware protection off by default

Then it appears there is a problem on this computer. Here is some more detail.

Clean installed Malwarebytes 3.0.6.1458 
Entered licence key
All protections enabled except ransomware
Restarted
All protections enabled except ransomware
Started Ransomware manually, all good.  Also had to do manual update
On restart, all protection layers enabled
Logs attached

Tried installing it on a second computer, this time as soon as I entered the licence key, it updated and all layers switched on. All good.

Both computers are set up similarly
Windows 10 1607
Defender

mbae-protector.zip

7 hours ago, John A said:

Clean install is theoretically unnecessary but safer (in my opinion) until V3 settles down.

This got my attention, John A https://forums.malwarebytes.com/profile/14642-john-a/. My two attempts at successfully installing the previous versions of Mbam 3 hadn't worked out. These have since been scoured using mbam-clean, and all remaining vestiges removed from both files/folders as well as registry. As a result I'm currently running v2.2.1.1043 which is behaving in the commendable fashion I have come to expect from Malwarebytes.

Like some users who have had less than satisfactory experiences with the prior v3 installs I was anxious and a bit skeptical of newcomer 3.06 but knowing what I do now as to the correct procedures for removal/installation am again willing to give it a try.

Which brings me to the question: if a subscriber, using 2.2.1.1043 with no discernible issues whatsoever, decides to pull the trigger on 3.06, would you still recommend a clean install versus an 'over the top' one, and would this also involve mbam-clean-2.3.0.1001.exe to properly remove 2.2.1.1043?

Edited by tonguetwister

Having in the past been mostly be disappointed in Windows' built-in uninstallers (mostly due to a lack of confidence), I've been using free 3rd party programs, the current default being Geek Uninstaller which, like most, perform also a fair-to-modicum amount of cleansing the registry. Up to now, this is what I had in mind for v2.2.1.1043, even though all previous mbam uninstalls have exclusively involved  mbam-clean.exe

But your suggestion to abstain from using mbam-clean.exe to do the job intrigues me. I will defer to the history of your exposure and experiences in assisting others here with their issues and am confident there is at least a main mitigating reason for your recommendation @Aura . I would like to learn it.

Edited by tonguetwister

@tonguetwister If you haven't ever installed v3, I would recommend the v2 clean uninstaller be run after using MBAM regular uninstaller. Then reboot, and delete any remnants in Program Files (x86) and ProgramData. It wouldn't hurt to run CCleaner registry scan as well. If these come up neagitive, then run the v3.0.6 installer (otherwise reboot again before installing v3).

If you have a registered license for v2, you should DEACTIVATE it before uninstalling v2 (do this with a live internet connection). After v3 is installed, re-enter your license info. Good luck.

As mentioned previously, after having performed it on the two initial releases of v3 I am familiar with the process of uninstalling mbam3 (online deactivation, file/folder vestige search/removal), Telos. What has momentarily slipped my memory however is whether or not I'd used Mbam's uninstaller. Honestly, I can't recall for certain. Maybe yes, maybe no. What I am confident of though is that there are no issues, at all, with my current v2.2.1.1043

What I'm looking for is a path to the best chance for installing a more satisfying, current v3. Already in this thread there are contradictory opinions on which app to use, or not, and while I fully understand that the environs of my 64bit W7 desktop bear little or no resemblance of countless others, I also have no wish to be a repeat test-bed. 

Will continue to keep a wet finger in the air to see how the consensual wind is blowing with others' experience with it is here.

thanks.

Edited by tonguetwister

But your suggestion to abstain from using mbam-clean.exe to do the job intrigues me. I will defer to the history of your exposure and experiences in assisting others here with their issues and am confident there is at least a main mitigating reason for your recommendation @Aura . I would like to learn it.

This is because I consider mbam-clean.exe as something to use when you're experiencing problems with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware itself, or the uninstall/install process. If you've been running it with any issues all this time, and it uninstalls just fine via the Control Panel, I don't see why you would use it.

26 minutes ago, Aura said:

This is because I consider mbam-clean.exe as something to use when you're experiencing problems with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware itself, or the uninstall/install process. If you've been running it with any issues all this time, and it uninstalls just fine via the Control Panel, I don't see why you would use it.

I guess I could have been more descriptive. Apologies. I was impressed the since first using  mbam-clean.exe ultimately becoming the exclusive mbam removal utility. I have no qualms at all of relying on it to do the job it always has. 

And thanks again for reminding me that there is a distinct difference between mbam-clean and mbam uninstaller.