First time updating to new version with MBAM Pro

Tonight with be my first time updating a version of MBAM using MBAM Pro.

I was going to update quickly before work, but checked the website first to see if the new version was out yet, and sure enough it was :) In case of any conflicts, and the fact that my other half wasn't done using the computer yet and probably wouldn't appreciate a restart :( I decided to wait until tonight to update it.

What should I expect? I know that Yardbird said something abuot the computer asking you to restart. I also haven't added MBAM to my AV's exceptions list yet (I actually don't know where to put them yet.) My AV is AVG internet security suite.

Yardbird,

Okay, thanks :(

when you put 1.39 on top of 1.38 just follow the prompts please, it should ask you for a re-boot (not a big deal) please do so, as to let the drivers settle down.... post back with any questions, or issues....regards

Exile,

So should I uninstall the current version of MBAM then, restart, then use the mbam clean (I still have it on my desktop), restart, and then download the new version of MBAM? Or how should I proceed?

And where is the best place to download MBAM from? I've used download.com in the past

It would also be a very good idea to completely disable your AV and Firewall while installing the new version of MBAM (to do this most safely, disable your internet connection after downloading the new MBAM version, disable the AV and Firewall, then install MBAM 1.39).

@ yardbird

thanks for the link :)

Just clicked on it to test and all it said was error. I didn't try refresh, but I'll try again :(

directly to the site of 1.39 http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=5...fd909666f809b26

you may have to refresh the page-- give it 10 seconds or so

@ Exile.

So would I be downloading from here: ? (middle of the page)

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the USA MajorGeeks - |USA|

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware fromthe USA MajorGeeks - |USA 2|

Download from Internode Internode - |Australia|

So you recommend Major Geeks then? :) It still has some ads, but not as many as download.com :)

I just remembered though, I think you said that you went to Major Geeks a little while back and your Kaspersky popped up with a Trojan alert... hope that still isn't a problem :/

I love MajorGeeks, it's one of my favorite sites :) . Nope, they haven't had that issue for a very long time (that was over a year ago and they had it fixed within an hour :( ). And yes, you're correct, those are the download links, they'll take you to another page and the download should begin and will have a link stating "if your download doesn't start in 5 seconds click here".

Exile,

somehow I missed this answer, sorry. So I could just download it over the new version? I can't do that with the internet on though if I do the AV and firewall disable, which you suggested.

I think I will go with the second option. So just to get it straight (I always like to double check, can't hurt:)),

I uninstall MBAM, reboot (is that the same as restart? I always get confused), then install the new version, while having my av/firewall disabled? To do that I usually just right-click and hit exit - is that the right way or are there also some processes I might need to kill?

You don't have to go that far (running MBAM clean and all). You can install it over 1.38 as yardbird suggested or you can just uninstall MBAM, reboot (it'll ask you to), then install the new version (that's how I did it and it's working fine for me :( ).

Well, Major Geeks has a good recommendation then :). Well that's good to know that that issue is over and done with then. I'll use that over download.com then from now on! :(

Okay, sweet. I'll get right on this when I get home :)

I love MajorGeeks, it's one of my favorite sites :) . Nope, they haven't had that issue for a very long time (that was over a year ago and they had it fixed within an hour :) ). And yes, you're correct, those are the download links, they'll take you to another page and the download should begin and will have a link stating "if your download doesn't start in 5 seconds click here".

Yup, you're welcome. I'm not a huge fan of CNET or Download.com (or even Softpedia for that matter), because they've been known to host installers for a lot of software that I consider to be less than legitimate. The guys behind MajorGeeks are awesome and I always use their site for downloads when the software developer doesn't have a direct download link (as long as it's something hosted by MajorGeeks of course). I also get my Realtek driver updates from them because it's much faster than the Taiwanese servers used by Realtek themselves.

Thanks for your thoughts on CNET/Download.com (same place I presume?), and I have never heard of Softpedia actually.

Blech. Yeah, I have used Download.com off and on for a few years, pretty much only for AVG and Spybot :( I've never downloaded anything off there just because I found out and was like "Oh cool, this looks good, I'll download it". Even though they have their no virus, no spyware etc.. guarantee, who knows if you can 100% trust that, you know? Even if it doesn't have that stuff, who knows about the program? Then, not to mention, advertising for something such as CyberDefender (don't know if you saw the post in the security area of the forum). Eh. I just like to do my research and know what things are. I downloaded AVG and Spybot off the recommendation of people I knew, and later on MBAM from someone I met in another forum that I frequent.

I haven't gotten a chance to take much of a look around Major Geeks yet, but, do they have Spybot and what else do they generally have, if you know off the top of your head?

What's Realtek?

Oh, and one more question about MBAM; should I always uninstall, restart, download new version, disconnect internet, disable av/firewall, and install the new download every time there is a version update for the Pro version?

Yup, you're welcome. I'm not a huge fan of CNET or Download.com (or even Softpedia for that matter), because they've been known to host installers for a lot of software that I consider to be less than legitimate. The guys behind MajorGeeks are awesome and I always use their site for downloads when the software developer doesn't have a direct download link (as long as it's something hosted by MajorGeeks of course). I also get my Realtek driver updates from them because it's much faster than the Taiwanese servers used by Realtek themselves.

you don't have to uninstall 1.38, you can put 1.39 right on top. don't re-start untill you have the 1.39 version, it will ask you when to re-start, then please do so.. (disconnect internet, disable av/firewall) something I did not do. but if you feel better - it will do no harm. regards..

Yardbird, if I am not mistaken, the only way to install on top is to download it right from the update tab on mbam and to do that you need to have the internet on, and I don't want the internet left on, just in case, without the av and firewall on.

so the only way to do it otherwise, as far as I know, is to uninstall, reboot, download new version, disable av/firewall, and then install.

Thank you though :(

you don't have to uninstall 1.38, you can put 1.39 right on top. don't re-start untill you have the 1.39 version, it will ask you when to re-start, then please do so.. (disconnect internet, disable av/firewall) something I did not do. but if you feel better - it will do no harm. regards..

Realtek are my audio drivers :( . They have Spybot, Spywareblaster, AVG, all that good stuff:

MajorGeeks Security software listing

MajorGeeks AV listings

Majorgeeks AS listings

You can use the links on the left side of the MajorGeeks page to find downloads by category or use the search box.

And yardbird is correct, you don't have to do the installation as I suggested, I'm just trying to avoid any potential issues.

edit: additional links added.

two ways to download the program, 1 download it now, leave 1.38 alone. disconnect from the net & run the installer exe.

2. The pro version will kick uou up to 1.39,on an update and no need to disconnect.... does that help... I did it like that so I could see if all was working ok.... and its your choice. an uninstall is not required. maybe someone else has a comment..hope this helps