PowerPoint 2016

• Staff

Hello Everyone,

I want to have you collect a few logs for me. First I want to have you collect two logs from these directories:

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\mbae-default.txt

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs\MBAMSERVICE.txt

The directory is hidden by default so you might have to click on "View -> Hidden items" in Explorer to see it.   There is also a post here from Microsoft on how to do this for the more recent OS: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files

Along with that we want to collect some more information from the computer to see what else is installed. We want to rule out any conflicts. To do this:

1: Please download FRST from the link below and save it to your desktop:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

2: Double-click the purple FRST icon to run the program. Click Yes when the disclaimer appears.

3: Click the Scan button

4: When the scan has finished, it will make 2 log files in the same directory the tool is run, FRST.txt and Addition.txt. Please attach both files in your reply.

@Rsullinger - Just finished installing Office 365 Home & Family (had a spare install left) on a VM with the following details:

1. Host: Windows 10 x64 Pro Insider Preview build 14986
  2. Guest: Windows 10 x64 Pro Insider Preview build 14986
  3. MB3: licensed Premium version (all protections enabled)

Here is what I found. (I'll update this post as I install other versions and keep testing).

• Installing Office365 x64 version 1610 [PowerPoint Version 1610 (build 7466.2038)]  Causes 0 issues
  • Updating to Powerpoint x64 version 1611 (build 7571.2075) Causes PowerPoint to not load unless AE protection for PP is disabled.
  • Updating to PowerPoint x64 Version 1612 (build 7628.1000Causes PowerPoint to not load unless AE protection for PP is disabled.
  • Installing Office365 x86 version 1610 [PowerPoint Version 1610 (build 7466.2038)]  Causes 0 issues
  • Updating to Powerpoint x86 version 1611 (build 7571.2075) Causes PowerPoint to not load unless AE protection for PP is disabled.
  • Updating to PowerPoint x86 Version 1612 (build 7628.1000Causes PowerPoint to not load unless AE protection for PP is disabled.

Attached is the service log.

MBAMSERVICE_VM.zip

Edited by John L. Galt
Fixed typos, added attachment

20 hours ago, Rsullinger said:

Hello Acrobaze,

I am going to send you a PM to get some debug logging for mbae. I want to get this information over to our development team. 

Hello,

Must say that I was surprised....

I'm not a beta user, and uninstall, install  other stuff, then uninstall and reinstall...is not my job. It's YOUR job.

If you aren't able, then don't sell an incomplete program.  

16 hours ago, John L. Galt said:

@Rsullinger - Just finished installing Office 365 Home & Family (had a spare install left) on a VM with the following details:

Here is what I found. (I'll update this post as I install other versions and keep testing).

• Installing Office365 x64 version 1610 [PowerPoint Version 1610 (build 7466.2038)]  Causes 0 issues
  • Updating to Powerpoint x64 version 1611 (build 7571.2075) Causes PowerPoint to not load unless AE protection for PP is disabled.
  • Updating to PowerPoint x64 Version 1612 (build 7628.1000Causes PowerPoint to not load unless AE protection for PP is disabled.
  • Installing Office365 x86 version 1610 [PowerPoint Version 1610 (build 7466.2038)]  Causes 0 issues
  • Updating to Powerpoint x86 version 1611 (build 7571.2075) Causes PowerPoint to not load unless AE protection for PP is disabled.
  • Updating to PowerPoint x86 Version 1612 (build 7628.1000Causes PowerPoint to not load unless AE protection for PP is disabled.

MBAMSERVICE_VM.zip

Have to add  :

- Office 2010 pro plus installed (As a teacher, I had it free, and I kept it for "Publisher"), just updated in the morning.

PP2010 works fine even with powerpnt.exe disabled....

- Just updated "Office 2016 family and students"...7.0.7571.7063. (32 bits)...and of course : the same, doesn't work.

• Staff
20 hours ago, John L. Galt said:

MBAMSERVICE_VM.zip

Hey John,

Do you mind getting the  C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\mbae-default.log file as well after you reproduced the issue? I am having our development team looking into this with the information you provided and they will need that log as well. 

1 minute ago, Rsullinger said:

Hey John,

Do you mind getting the  C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\mbae-default.log file as well after you reproduced the issue? I am having our development team looking into this with the information you provided and they will need that log as well. 

I used the same VM to test uninstalling it, so I'm not sure if those logs are still there or not.  I can reinstall Office and generate a new set of logs, give me some time.

2 hours ago, Rsullinger said:

Hey John,

I did it all again starting with the base x64 install of Office 365 Home Premium.

• PowerPoint 16.0.7426.1015 x64 = OK
  • PowerPoint 16.0.7571.7063 x64 = Not OK
  • PowerPoint 16.0.7628.1000 x64 = Not OK

I'm attaching both logs again as this is a fresh copy of MB3 installed, and the previous log will (probably) no longer apply.

MBAMSERVICE_logs.zip

Edited by John L. Galt