Frustrated

nov1

So I was browsing the internet yesterday, and I came across a website which basically said something along the lines of  'Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. This page checks to see if it's really you sending the requests, not a robot'. And required that I give an email address. So after checking my email account earlier on, it seems that I have received a ton of junk email nonsense. :(

Hello and welcome back, @nov1:

Are you talking about this site?

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

If not, please provide a bit more detail about your problem, so that we can better assist you.

It's not yet clear from your description if you may have fallen victim to a tech support scam, or if your email account was hacked, or something else.

Thank you,

Well, unfortunately, it sounds as if you were scammed -- "social engineering".

You provided spammers with your email address.

All I can suggest at this point would be to:

• Report the spam to your email provider (ISP, webmail, etc.) via their spam-reporting mechanisms. 
    • The precise procedure will vary, depending on whether it's an ISP account, gmail, yahoomail or other provider.
    • They will need the full header information in the spam emails.

As a last resort, you may end up having to close that account, since the spammers now have your address.

Other, more expert forum members, such as @David H. Lipman may have additional recommendations to resolve this immediate issue.
They may also recommend strategies for safer internet surfing to help prevent future mishaps.

Thank you,

3 minutes ago, nov1 said:

Starting to wonder if the message that appeared was actually genuine, and that I was overloading the search engine with a high amount of requests or something. 

Sorry, You were philshed/scammed to give you email out. Thet just sold to MANY and that MANY will sell it to others.

Edited by Porthos