MBAE free fails to run after Windows updates

JBR1

Hi

I have been using Malwarebytes anti-exploit free successfully on my laptop running Windows 10 since I bought it in January.  Today, however, having just installed automatically downloaded Windows updates, it fails to open.  The message I received was "Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Protection is not started.  The Anti-Exploit process will be terminated."

I ran Programme Compatibility Troubleshooter and eventually received the message "Issues found.  Incompatible Program Detected."

I therefore removed the programme from my computer (using Control Panel) and downloaded and installed the same programme.  Exactly the same things happened.  I have also run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which reports "Non-Malware Detected: PUP.Optional.SysTweak." which I have now removed.

I have looked in 'Start-up' in Task Manager, which shows the programme as 'enabled'.  In 'Services' it is listed as 'stopped'.  I clicked 'start', but it immediately reverts to 'stopped'.

Is it possible that the most recent Windows updates have caused this problem?

Are there any suggestions as to how I can overcome this problem please?

I should add that I have been looking at this thread: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/182123-anti-exploit-fails-to-launch/

but as the apparent cause of my problem is different I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread.

I should be very grateful for any advice.

Just some added information as this seems strange.

I also run W10 64 Bit on 2 machines with MBAE (latest version) on both and received Windows Updates on both machines yesterday with no issues at all. I also run MBAM pro running real time on both Machines.....

Edited by Wilpower

Thank you for your responses.

1PW, I'm afraid I could not access the MBAE user data directory as I was unable to open the programme.  This was my problem.  After having received the message I posted above, I naturally tried to open MBAE.  I tried clicking on the shortcut, and then on the file location but nothing happened.

I have now removed the software from my computer but have considered downloading a fresh installation file.  However, I'd still like to learn whether there is anything in Windows updates that could compromise its performance.  I was hoping to find someone else on here who had encountered the same problem and had found a solution.

On the other hand, I have heard that another alternative could be HitmanPro Alert, although I suppose this is not the best place to ask about that!

OK, well having received no suggestions for overcoming my problems, I have downloaded and installed HitmanPro Alert which appears to be working perfectly.  Its only drawback is that it is a paid-for application (I have a free-trial).  Another option appears to be EMET.

Hello JBR1:

Sometimes a Windows system's directories, sub-directories or files can be in a default hidden state or have since been placed in a hidden state.  Please try the following passive procedure to bring out the contents of the sub-directory in question:

Where unhiding hidden directories is undesired, the following procedure will permit access to folders and files that are in their system's default "hidden" state:

1. Hold down the Windows Key WindowsKey.png + Press R.  If successful, a Run window will open.
  2. Type, or Copy and Paste, the following in the Open: textbox: "%ProgramData%" (Please do include both quote characters).
  3. If the last step was successful, an explorer window will be seen containing numerous sub-directories.  Please single left-click the Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit sub-directory.
  4. Single right-click Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit and left-click "Send to" >> "Compressed (zipped) folder".  A Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.zip archive folder should appear within the %ProgramData% directory.
  5. Cut and Paste the Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.zip archive to the system's desktop.  Please attach the Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.zip archive to this thread with your next reply.

Thank you.

Reference: How to show/hide protected files, folders and drives: Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives - Show in Windows 10

Edited by 1PW

Thank you 1PW for those very explicit instructions, which I have followed and the .zip file attached.

To be honest, I was sure that I had removed all traces of MBAE from my computer and was surprised to find that all of these files still remained hidden away somewhere.

I'm grateful for your continued help.

MBAEDATA.zip

Hello JBR1:

Thank you for the archives.

Please accept my sincere apologies for not keeping better track of this topic.

Even though my original procedure was flawed, you still managed to retrieve the correct/required data for analysis.  I have corrected your copy above for posterity and no need exists for you to rerun the above.  I am in the process of writing a follow-on procedure for you, but old people are slow and sometimes fall asleep at the keyboard and frequently forget.

Thank you for your patience, understanding and forgiveness.

Edited by 1PW

Hello JBR1:

The following steps may be necessary if a simple re-install of any edition of Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) was unsuccessful:

1. Restart the system in question to a Normal boot mode and log into an Administrator's account only.
  2. Please permanently delete all previous copies of mbae-setup-1.nn.1.nnnn.exe.
  3. Using the Administrator's account only, download the release version of the mbae-setup executable only from https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbae_current/, and save only to the Administrator's desktop.
  4. Similarly, download the current version of clean_mbae.zip only from within How to remove MBAE leftovers after uninstall and save only to the Administrator's desktop.  Extract, drill down and Copy and Paste clean_mbae.bat to the Administrator's desktop only.
  5. Carefully follow all the procedural steps within MBAE fresh re-install steps.
  6. Please know that the sub-directory at "%ProgramData%\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit" on some systems, may be hidden but still must be deleted.  <===IMPORTANT!
  7. On the Administrator's desktop, right-click the clean_mbae.bat file and left-click RunAsAdmin.jpg  Run as administrator from the context menu and continue to its conclusion.
  8. Restart the system to Normal mode and login to an Administrator's account only.
  9. On the Administrator's desktop, right-click the mbae-setup-1.nn.1.nnnn.exe file and left-click RunAsAdmin.jpg  Run as administrator from the context menu and continue the setup normally to its conclusion.
  10. Restart the system to Normal mode and login as normal.

Please update the status of the system's issue in your next reply to your topic.  Thank you.

Edited by 1PW

Hi 1PW,

Thank you for your help, and please believe me that there is no need for any apology.

I'm grateful for the instructions above and shall follow these to re-install MBAE when I have a little more time.

"Old people are slow and sometimes fall asleep at the keyboard and frequently forget."  Tell me about it!  If it were not for my wife's constant 'reminders' I, too, would fall asleep at my keyboard frequently.

Many thanks again,

John 

46 minutes ago, 1PW said:

Hello JBR1:

Please update this thread when you are able.  Thank you.

Hi 1PW.

I have now followed the above instructions and successfully installed Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, which seems to be running correctly and whose interface now opens when I click the appropriate icon in the start menu.

It appears that both MBAE and HitmanPro-Alert are now running side by side.  Would it be advisable for me to remove the latter software in case of conflicts?

Once again, may I thank you for your time and trouble and your very helpful advice.

John