Database update taking quite a long time.

Is it just me, or does it seem that the updating of the database takes longer and longer with each successive version of the program?  I presently have version# 2.2.1.1043, the free version.  Back when I had version 2.1.6.1022 the update was very quick.  When I would select update, it would take just a few seconds to find the update, and another few seconds to actually download the update.  The version after that started the longer times.  I can't remember how long it was, but with my present version it now takes approximately six minutes to find the update, then about nine seconds to download it.  Is this normal?  I remember the first time I upgraded from that previous version I thought something was wrong after about two minutes because it was still searching.  I uninstalled it, then reinstalled the original version.  One day I tried upgrading again, and after the upgrade, sure enough, it was searching for a long time.  This time I just decided to wait and see what happened, and after about three or four minutes it found the update, then updated it in about nine or ten seconds.  Again, this present version takes about six minutes to find the update, then about nine seconds to download it.  I just don't get it.

I have Hughesnet, but have VERY high speeds for them, running about 22Mbps down and 1.6Mbps up, so it's not my internet, and it certainly isn't my computer.  It just searches and searches, and I can tell it's looking because the lights are flickering on the modem.  Then it finds the update and downloads it in the aforementioned nine seconds (I timed it when I updated it earlier this morning). 

Is this normal?  Thanks. 

Hi @Gabe1972, and :welcome:

Part of your problem may in fact be with your ISP, though not in exactly the manner that you think.  In addition to connection speed there is also other factors, such as DNS, which may be the majority of the problem here in your case.  There are several things that you can do to check this, but let's start with the basics.

1. Verify that your time and date are accurate on the computer for your location.  If they are not, please fix, then reboot your computer, and after logging in, please try checking for an update.
  2. If your issue still persists, please follow the instructions in the following post to gather necessary logs to attach to your next reply so that we can commence diangosing your system. 

When you run the programs as instructed in that topic, they will create and automatically open the necessary logs.  Then, just come back here and attach them to your next post, if needed.

John, thank you for the reply and the help.  I was just signing off and checked my email before I did.  I already knew, though checked, that the time and date are spot on.  I will do the other step (the diagnostic logs) when I come back on tonight or tomorrow morning.  Thank you very much for the help.  It is certainly appreciated. 

Also, it won't surprise me if it is my ISP.  Hughesnet does some strange things with some websites and apps that said websites use.  It's nothing unusual.  Again, I will do said things tonight or tomorrow morning.  Thanks. 

Edited by Gabe1972