Hi guys, so basically, today I upgraded from a trial version to premium version of Malwarebytes, and I had a few questions:

1.) I bought it using this link (https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/purl-consumer) and received an email with a download link in which I ran (not before deleting the trial version as the install kept failing until I did), did I download the correct/safe Malwarebytes? (running version 2.2.1.1043)

2.) Are there any big changes that come with premium? The first scan I have ran since deleting the trial version and downloading the premium is taking longer than normal. Does this mean it is doing a more thorough search than the trial?

Thanks

Hi:

1) All you need from the confirmation purchase email is the license KEY.  (Please make sure you save a copy of the email and a paper backup of the license info, for future reference.)  If you have already tried to install or upgrade or activate without success, I suggest getting a fresh start.  Please follow all of the steps here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x.  Be sure to reboot when prompted by the removal tool. It's not a bad idea to reboot again after installation.  After installation, follow the steps HERE to activate the program with your license key.

2) MBAM Premium offers many advantages over Free.  First and foremost, it provides REAL-TIME protection to help prevent infection.  It also offers automated scheduling, to allow scheduled tasks (update checks and scans), as well as other advanced features.

More info about v2.2.1 HERE
Version 2.2.1 Release History HERE
User Guide ONLINE
User Guide PDF
FAQ: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Thanks for your support,

21 minutes ago, NUFC20 said:

The first scan I have ran since deleting the trial version and downloading the premium is taking longer than normal. Does this mean it is doing a more thorough search than the trial?

The scan takes longer after a new install because of disk caching. The free,trial,premium all SCAN the same locations.

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The scan takes longer after a new install because of disk caching. The free,trial,premium all SCAN the same locations.

Good point.:)

And there was no need to uninstall the Trial version.

All that was needed was to ACTIVATE it with your license.;)

EDIT: I mistakenly misunderstood your original post to assume that you were having some issues with the activation/upgrade/scanning. That is why I suggested the clean reinstall. If everything is working OK now, you should be all set.  You may wish to just bookmark the sticky topic, in case you ever need to reinstall again.

Cheers,

Edited by daledoc1
Clarification

21 minutes ago, daledoc1 said:

Hi:

1) All you need from the confirmation purchase email is the license KEY.  (Please make sure you save a copy of the email and a paper backup of the license info, for future reference.)  If you have already tried to install or upgrade or activate without success, I suggest getting a fresh start.  Please follow all of the steps here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x.  Be sure to reboot when prompted by the removal tool. It's not a bad idea to reboot again after installation.  After installation, follow the steps HERE to activate the program with your license key.

2) MBAM Premium offers many advantages over Free.  First and foremost, it provides REAL-TIME protection to help prevent infection.  It also offers automated scheduling, to allow scheduled tasks (update checks and scans), as well as other advanced features.

More info about v2.2.1 HERE
Version 2.2.1 Release History HERE
User Guide ONLINE
User Guide PDF
FAQ: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Thanks for your support,

The thing is, I have two system accounts. One admin and one regular, which I use for 95% of activities. It required me to add the key on my admin account, so I did so fine and it went from trial to premium automatically. So I logged out, went to my regular account and tried opening Malwarebytes but I couldn't, so I downloaded the new version from the email I received and the first two times, an error message appeared (I can't remember exactly) so I uninstalled the trial version and replaced it with the version in my email and it works fine now. Is there anyway to tell my new Malwarebytes is legitimate (I'll be stunned if it isnt as it is from the email receipt). I haven't re-booted since but I will now, just in case :) 

P.s - Did the trial not offer real-time protection?I am sure it did or I just never noticed it wasn't there

Hi:

Yes, the Trial version offers all the same features as Premium, but only for 14 days. If the program is not activated with a valid license before the Trial expires, the program will revert to the Free, manual, on-demand version.  So Trial and Premium are "the same" until the Trial expires.  Then the program becomes the Free version.  To keep all the Premium features after 14 days of the Trial, one needs to activate the program with a valid license.

I cannot say why the download link in the email did not work. If the email is from cleverbridge, then it is legitimate. The "special" download links they provide with the purchase confirmation email are not needed. All that is needed is the license KEY.  The best way to download the current MBAM installer file is to use the link at the product page HERE or HERE. After installation, one uses the KEY to ACTIVATE the program.

In order to work correctly MBAM should be installed and configured from an Admin account. If you did not do that, then I would indeed follow the advice in my original reply. Please follow all of the steps here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x.  Be sure to reboot when prompted by the removal tool. It's not a bad idea to reboot again after installation.  After installation, follow the steps HERE to activate the program with your license key.

I hope this clarifies things a bit.

Cheers,

10 minutes ago, daledoc1 said:

Hi:

Yes, the Trial version offers all the same features as Premium, but only for 14 days. If the program is not activated with a valid license before the Trial expires, the program will revert to the Free, manual, on-demand version.  So Trial and Premium are "the same" until the Trial expires.  Then the program becomes the Free version.  To keep all the Premium features after 14 days of the Trial, one needs to activate the program with a valid license.

I cannot say why the download link in the email did not work. If the email is from cleverbridge, then it is legitimate. The "special" download links they provide with the purchase confirmation email are not needed. All that is needed is the license KEY.  The best way to download the current MBAM installer file is to use the link at the product page HERE or HERE. After installation, one uses the KEY to ACTIVATE the program.

In order to work correctly MBAM should be installed and configured from an Admin account. If you did not do that, then I would indeed follow the advice in my original reply. Please follow all of the steps here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x.  Be sure to reboot when prompted by the removal tool. It's not a bad idea to reboot again after installation.  After installation, follow the steps HERE to activate the program with your license key.

I hope this clarifies things a bit.

Cheers,

Sorry if I didn't make it clear, but the download link in the email DID work. What I meant was, I couldn't open the previous version I had on my computer so I used the download link in the email (yes, it was from cleverbridge using  no-reply@cleverbridge.com). So that's okay, that is the email I downloaded from, the one that as an e-recipt. 

I am also going to assume it is okay on the admin side too. I used the admin side to activate key for both accounts and on my regular account now once the key has been entered and
new version downloaded, it runs smooth. Even when I hover over the tool in the toolbar it says 'Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home (Premimum) along with update ID and database version
so hopefully that is okay. I am quite a worrier so even when it is a tiny thing I always rush and ask to make sure it is okay.

Long story short: Key has been applied via admin account.
New version I installed was from cleverbridge receipt email
Premium account is up and running on all accounts on PC

Also, one last thing - is it common for Malwarebytes to ask "do you want to allow this app to make changes to your pc" on an admin account? It doesn't do it on my regular PC account at all and only does it on my admin account when I specifically open (double click) the program. Thanks

4 minutes ago, NUFC20 said:

I am also going to assume it is okay on the admin side too. I used the admin side to activate key for both accounts and on my regular account now once the key has been entered and
new version downloaded, it runs smooth. Even when I hover over the tool in the toolbar it says 'Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home (Premimum) along with update ID and database version
so hopefully that is okay. I am quite a worrier so even when it is a tiny thing I always rush and ask to make sure it is okay.

Long story short: Key has been applied via admin account.

The steps your posts seem to describe -- installing from a standard/LUA account and then activating from an Admin account -- are not quite the same thing as the recommended procedure.

AFAIK, it has always been the case that MBAM Consumer should be INSTALLED, ACTIVATED and CONFIGURED from an Admin account in order to work properly.

I don't know if the steps you followed will work correctly or not. We will need to wait for someone more expert to weigh in.

A proper clean reinstall, as previously suggested, will take about 5-10 minutes or less.

But it's up to you.

Cheers,

8 minutes ago, NUFC20 said:

Also, one last thing - is it common for Malwarebytes to ask "do you want to allow this app to make changes to your pc" on an admin account? It doesn't do it on my regular PC account at all and only does it on my admin account when I specifically open (double click) the program. Thanks

If MBAM is properly installed and configured from an Admin account, then the only time you will get a UAC prompt is if you open the application GUI from the desktop shortcut.

If MBAM is properly installed and configured from an Admin account, then you can open the GUI without a UAC prompt from the system tray icon with a double-left-mouse click.

See below:

6 minutes ago, daledoc1 said:

The steps your posts seem to describe -- installing from a standard/LUA account and then activating from an Admin account -- are not quite the same thing as the recommended procedure.

AFAIK, it has always been the case that MBAM Consumer should be INSTALLED, ACTIVATED and CONFIGURED from an Admin account in order to work properly.

I don't know if the steps you followed will work correctly or not. We will need to wait for someone more expert to weigh in.

A proper clean reinstall, as previously suggested, will take about 5-10 minutes or less.

But it's up to you.

Cheers,

Cheers,

3 minutes ago, daledoc1 said:

If MBAM is properly installed and configured from an Admin account, then the only time you will get a UAC prompt is if you open the application GUI from the desktop shortcut.

If MBAM is properly installed and configured from an Admin account, then you can open the GUI without a UAC prompt from the system tray icon with a double-left-mouse click.

See below:

Cheers,

Yeah the only time that appears in when I double click the GUI icon from the desktop, so must be okay. I uninstalled it, and installed it from my admin account again (which is what I think you mean). Cheers :)

29 minutes ago, daledoc1 said:

See below:

Cheers,

Yeah, I can do both of those things with the results you mentioned from my admin account, so I am assuming that means it's all set up correctly? Also, thanks for all your help as you have assisted me on a few other posts too, I really appreciate it