Malwarebytes fails to open

Kiyah

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I run the mbam-check I recieve this error before the command prompt closes:

7-zip Error: ERROR

I tried re-downloading the mbam-check but it came up with the same error. I'm not sure if this is because Malwarebytes is still installed because it ran perfectly before when AdvancedSetup told me to run mbam-clean.

• Staff

Hello Kiyah,

It could also be McAfee interering. Disable McAfee and try again.

Also, click Start>All programs>Accessories and right click Command Prompt. Select Run as Administrator.

Type the following into the black box, exactly as you see it below:

set>"%userprofile%\desktop\setlog.txt"

Within seconds,  a setlog.txt will have been saved on your desktop. Please attach that in your next reply.

I disabled the real-time scanning and the firewall on McAfee and downloaded the mbam-check again. The 7-zip error didn't appear but the command prompt still closed without the Checkreusults.txt being created. I tried Unblocking the mbam-check in properties but this didn't work either.

I attached the setlog.txt.

setlog.txt

• Staff

Thanks, Kiyah.

I'd like to see a new set of logs from FRST64.exe.  You will have to direct the tool to create the Addition.txt this time:

1. Double click FRST64.exe to launch the tool
2. Place a check in the box next to 'Addition.txt'
3. Now click the Scan button.

Please send me both the FRST.txt and the Addition.txt.

Also, according to the previous Addition.txt you sent, you are almost out of room on the C:\ drive - you have less than 1 GB left.  Are there any programs you can uninstall or can you move pictures or music or whatever is taking up all that space, to another drive?  What is your D:\ drive?

• Staff

Thanks, Kiyah.

I'm seeing all sorts of errors with McAfee (look at the lower portion of the Addition.txt)

You have WinPatrol loaded and running, as well as HitManPro.  For now, Uninstall both of them so we can rule them out as interference.

Reboot and try again to run mbam-check.exe.  Right click it and select Run as Administrator.

One more question, when is the last time you used Little Registry Cleaner?  Do NOT use it, I just need to know if you've run it in the past month.

I uninstalled WinPatrol and Hitmanpro and rebooted but they don't seem to be the cause as the mbam-check still closed before the scan.

I saw the errors in the Addition log. Should I try re-installing McAfee and see if the errors persist and if they do uninstall it and try to run mbam-check?

To be honest I don't think I've ever used Little Registry Cleaner. The main registry cleaner I use is CCleaner, which isn't saying much as I rarely use it. I think I installed Little Registry Cleaner before CCleaner and just forgot that I had downloaded it previously.

• Staff

That's good, registry cleaners are not recommended at all. All Registry Cleaners are prone to causing damage/corruption to the Registry. The Registry is the single most important component in your Operating System. Once corrupted, often times the best recourse is to perform a wipe of the machine. Unfortunately, the corruption is seldom evident immediately. They manifest themselves as inexplicable issues further down the road.

Here are several good write ups about Registry Cleaners:

http://ask-leo.com/why_do_registry_errors_keep_coming_back.html?awt_l=Dhx.J&awt_m=1aAVzHWMMZdfbL

https://blog.malwarebytes.org/social-engineering/2015/06/digital-snake-oil/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2563254

Uninstall McAfee for now and do not reinstall it at all for the moment.  After you uninstall McAfee, do the following in the order given:

1. Run mbam-clean.exe and reboot

2. Try again to install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

3. Regardless of whether or not MBAM installs, try again to run mbam-check.exe and send me the CheckResults.txt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!