Malicious Website blocked "Avast"

sdsmrs

Hello, I have a Malicious Website blocked issue.  The pop-ups started about 4:00 pm yesterday (9/9/2015).

I have read thru the posting instructions and have run a Malwarebites scan and a Farbar Recovery tool scan (gave me a "Line 9051 Error: Subscript used on non-accessible variable" message so I'm not sure if it actually did what it was supposed to do).  The logs are below, although, I can't seem to find an addition.txt log. 

If I have forgotten something, or haven't supplied all the information, please let me know.  This is the first time I've had to do any of this so I might have missed something. 

Thank you for your help in this matter. 

FRST.txt

protection log 9-10.txt

mbam scan log 9-10-15.txt

Thank you, on the link you provided it states there are two options - 

1. Add the following to the HOSTS file and either wait for or hope, Avast updates the DNS record or updates the software;

2. Change your DNS provider as mentioned by TwinHeadedEagle (e.g. to Google (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4), OpenDNS (208.67.220.220, 208.67.222.222)) 

How do I go about doing the first step?  I'm not sure where the HOSTS file would be located. 

Detection, 9/10/2015 6:11 PM, SYSTEM, OWNER-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, IP, 92.242.140.21, 0-undefined.facebook.com, 53955, Outbound, C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe, 

Detection, 9/10/2015 6:11 PM, SYSTEM, OWNER-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, IP, 92.242.140.21, 0-undefined.facebook.com, 53955, Outbound, C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe, 

Detection, 9/10/2015 6:11 PM, SYSTEM, OWNER-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, IP, 92.242.140.21, 0-undefined.facebook.com, 53956, Outbound, C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe, 

Detection, 9/10/2015 6:11 PM, SYSTEM, OWNER-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, IP, 92.242.140.21, 0-undefined.facebook.com, 53960, Outbound, C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe, 

Detection, 9/10/2015 6:11 PM, SYSTEM, OWNER-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, IP, 92.242.140.21, 0-undefined.facebook.com, 53961, Outbound, C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe, 

From the log you can see what the cause is.

Let me know if they come back.

OK...here's what you have to do:

Change your DNS provider to OpenDNS or Google

OpenDNS use: 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222

Google use: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

It easy to do and these two links should help you change the settings: (reboot when done)

http://208.69.38.205/

http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/how-to/setup-opendns-in-windows-7.html

Let me know.....MrC

Ok, thank you.  That's done.  Is there anything that changing the DNS will affect either negatively?  Will this need changed in back in the future?  

Another question.  I am working on my husbands computer also, it has the same issue.  I did the first step of changing the host file then it did threw the same pop-ups I was having.  I went to check out his protection logs but there is nothing there, this was right after a pop up showed.  Is there a reason this is happening?  I checked the settings on his MBAM and they are the same as mine.  Scan log is showing just none of the protection logs. 

Ok, thank you. That's done. Is there anything that changing the DNS will affect either negatively? Will this need changed in back in the future?

No I would leave it there......I recommend and use OpenDNS
http://www.labnol.org/internet/tools/opendsn-what-is-opendns-why-required-2/2587/

Another question. I am working on my husbands computer also, it has the same issue. I did the first step of changing the host file then it did threw the same pop-ups I was having. I went to check out his protection logs but there is nothing there, this was right after a pop up showed. Is there a reason this is happening? I checked the settings on his MBAM and they are the same as mine. Scan log is showing just none of the protection logs.

I'm finding that to properly fix this you have to change the DNS settings as mentioned...so try that.

How is the computer now???? Any more blocks???

MrC

No I would leave it there......I recommend and use OpenDNS

http://www.labnol.org/internet/tools/opendsn-what-is-opendns-why-required-2/2587/

That's the one I used.  Thank you for the link explaining this. 

How is the computer now???? Any more blocks???

So far so good on both computers.  If anything more pops up, I'll post here.  Thank you for your help.  

MrC

Good :)

A little clean up to do....

---------------------------------

bwebb7v.jpgDownload Delfix from here and save it to your desktop. (you may already have this)

• Ensure Remove disinfection tools is checked.
  • Click the Run button.
  • Reboot
Any other programs or logs that are still remaining, you can manually delete. (right click.....Delete)

-------------------------------

Any questions...please post back.

If you think I've helped you, please leave a comment > click on my avatar picture > click Profile Feed.

Take a look at My Preventive Maintenance to avoid being infected again.

Good Luck and Thanks for using the forum, MrC

• 3 months later...
  • Root Admin

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!