READ ME: Seeing 92.242.140.21 blocks? Read me please

MysteryFCM

Those seeing blocks on 92.242.140.21, whether due to su2.ff.avast.com or other sites should note, this is not a False Positive. The issue is caused due to domains that do not resolve, having the respective DNS queries hijacked to point to 92.242.140.21 (owned by Barefruit), whether this is being done by ISPs (e.g. Verizon) or others.

The corrective action for this, is to change your DNS settings to either Google or OpenDNS.

Google

OpenDNS

To do this;

1. Load up the Network and Sharing Center;

post-1009-0-68062100-1441936867_thumb.pn

2. Click Change Adapter Settings

3. Right click "Local Area Connection" and select "Properties"

4. Scroll down to and select, "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)"

post-1009-0-30687700-1442019609_thumb.pn

5. Click Properties

6. Select "Use the following DNS Server Addresses"

7. Enter either the OpenDNS or Google addresses as per the above

8. Click Apply, then OK

Alternatively, Avast users can resolve it by forcing the hostname to point to its previous IP via the HOSTS file:

77.234.41.65 su2.ff.avast.com

The HOSTS file is located at;

%windir%\system32\drivers\etc

• Root Admin

Please note this is only for a very specific IP alert issue and does not address other possible malware your system may have. This is also a workaround not a "fix".

If you continue to have other unexpected popups or other signs of an infection then I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Thank you