GT500.org Offline Due to DNS Issues

GT500

My registrar (Hover) appears to think it is too good to use Limestone's nameservers, so my domain won't resolve to my server's IP address, which means no one can access GT500.org (including my hpHosts mirror and Malware Domain Blocklist mirrors).

Since an essential feature at Hover is not working, and they have not responded to my support request, I am trying to transfer the domain to another registrar. That transfer has said "In Progress" for several hours now, so it doesn't look like GT500.org will be back up for a while.

You know, as much as I wanted to get away from GoDaddy, at least their system worked right...

And no, I'm not transferring back to GoDaddy. I'm trying a registrar that I'd never heard of, but which sounds promising. They also have a "No Bullsh*t" promise, which at least sounds nice (could just be a cheap marketing tactic).

As annoying as this whole thing has been, I have to admit that gandi.net's e-mail support has been pretty responsive. It looks like the issue transferring the domain was due to the WHOIS taking too long to update, and they sent the administrator confirmation e-mail to my gt500.org address (whoops). If I'd known that and known that their support would reply in a few hours before paying to transfer to Namecheap, I would have stuck with them. It's nice to have a service with responsive support for something as important as a domain name. Oh well...

Hover did eventually reply to me, but of course they continually denied that there could be a problem with their service, instead blaming it on my DNS settings, Limestone's nameservers, the DNS tools I was using to check if the issue was resolved, etc.

In the end, the best I could get them to say was they didn't understand why the problem was happening. They were, of course, unwilling to look into it further since I was transferring my domain. I guess I can't blame them for being reluctant to help a customer who is leaving, however you'd think that if there is a problem with their system that they'd want to look into it and see if they can find out why it is happening.

The critical error is "SPF MUST allow Google servers to send mail on behalf of domain." I don't want Google sending mail on my behalf, so this is actually a good thing and not a problem. ;)

When there was a problem, Google's "Check MX" tool was showing an error that basically meant there were no nameservers for the domain. Hover managed to mess something up with the nameserver information so that it wasn't usable, even though it appeared correctly in WHOIS. This meant that the domain wasn't usable, and since they didn't seem to accept that there could be something wrong on their end I don't have a problem with having switched registrars.