Scanned .exe file - disappeared?

Hi -

I downloaded PhotoScape_V3-7 earllier today, scanned twice and now can't find anywhere... the recommendation on downloading PS_3 was to scan for "PUP.Optional.OpenCandy"

First pass:

I ignorantly tried to use MBAM Custom scan. Since I couldn't locate the file on C drive, I made a folder and dropped it into C drive so I could select it. I removed the pup file I knew would be there and then moved the folder back up to downloads, When I opened the folder: empty...

Second pass;

I got hip enough to scan the individual file by right clicking, removed pup, went back to Downloads with the same result: empty...

What's going on here? :)

Hello and welcome:

What's going on here?

It's a bit hard to say for sure without a bit more data.

If you can, please do the following:

•  Please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt), AND
  • Please attach the relevant MBAM scan logs to your next reply, as well (instructions are below):

Thanks,
---------------

How to get scan logs:
(Export log to save as a txt file for posting in the forum when requested)

• Open MBAM.
  • Click on the HISTORY tab > APPLICATION LOGS.
  • Double-click on the SCAN LOG which shows the date and time of the scan just performed (or the one you are asked to post).
  • Click EXPORT.
  • Click TEXT FILE (*.txt)
  • In the "Save File" dialog box which appears, click on DESKTOP.
  • In the FILE NAME box, type a name for your scan log.
  • A message box named "File Saved" should appear, stating that "Your file has been successfully exported".
  • Click OK.
  • Attach the saved log to your next reply.

HI;

Thanks for those.
It would also help us to see the other 3 requested logs, when you are ready:

Please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt),

It's fine to attach all 3 to the next reply here in this thread.

Thanks,

So I should install, then scan and remove adware PUP.Optional.OpenCandy, correct?

MBAM is the only one out of many programs tested by LO4D.com that detected anything, so I was willing to be proactive and remove the PUP, but didn't know how to, apparently.

Here's what LO4D says:

We last tested the this file on 16 Sep 2014 with 29 different anti-virus and anti-malware programs and services. Out of these tests, the PhotoScape download tested clean 100% of the time.

PhotoScape does not contain any malware, spyware, trojans or viruses. When the developer updates the download, we will certainly recheck it for malware. PhotoScape appears to be safe.

**The catch: we did find this program to contain adware which may present problems.

Yep, Firefox is correct, as always. :)

If it were *my* computer, I wouldn't install anything that comes with special, little "extras", such as OpenCandy or any other PUP.

Alas, such junk is pretty common, especially associated with "Freeware".

The software vendors have to monetize their products somehow....

The safer strategy might be to choose a different photo-editing program, perhaps Gimp?

Also, FWIW, you have quite a few PUPs in quarantine.

It might not be a bad idea to head over to the malware removal section to get a free, expert second opinion.

Some PUPs can be rather difficult to fully remove, requiring the use of additional tools, not just MBAM.

As you have already run FRST, you'd just need to start a new, separate topic in the Malware Removal section, attaching the same logs to your new post.

One of the experts can assist with checking the system for malware/adware/junkware remnants and other problems.

It's certainly up to you, though. :)

Thanks again,

Yes, I know - I spent quite a bit of time researching editing SW for an image browser that'll allow me to make mild color and exposure adjustments to multiple images. Photoscape demonstrated clearly "how to."

And looked at reviews and safety assessment, etc. 

AFA the pups, I never even tried to delete them... I just did now, and far as I can see, they're gone.

I didn't understand why quarantine when I could simply delete, but since I didn't understand it and I'm kind of literal that way, I just left them there. Now I can see that I *might* throw something out that I should keep, but when I comb back through and organize what I actually use, it seems unlikely that I need them. I think I acquired alot of them just figuring out it was best to avoid "free" stuff, but the report on PhotoScape seems much better than most.

Thanks!

I'm sure you removed them without ever realizing it.

;)

Ever since I got this damn PC laptop, I spent hella time (on my bed, of course!) looking for those golden gooses (free movies :o ) and the wonderful gifts that came with... I figured it out fairly quickly, but that's what finally dragged me back to MBAM.

I spent all day on this, now - wish me happy labor-reduction with PhotoScrape!