Need malware removal help!

• Root Admin

Try to download and install Firefox if you can.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Not really sure what's going on here as the logs so far are not indicating an issue that would be slowing it to a crawl.

Let me get a new FRST scan log and make sure you place a check mark in the Additions.txt check box and attach or post back both new logs.

If we need to do a factory restore do you have your data backed up? If not you should consider obtaining an external USB drive to backup your data

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the delay, I had some problems with my internet provider.  I'll have to get an external drive. I need it for an English class anyway. I already had Mozilla but the link you gave me updated it. I can't tell any difference yet it still seems a little slow. But here is the FRST log. Once again I am sorry I have to attach the file but I can't paste for some reason.

FRST.txt

• Root Admin

Well the logs are not showing any signs of an infection. It's possible you may be having a hardware issue or some other software conflict.

You should check in Device Manager what drive you have and then download a tool to test the hard drive.

Please see the following link which has all sorts of links and topics for hard drive diagnostics
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities

You can also reset all your browsers to see if that helps.

Please visit each of the following sites and lets reset all of your browsers back to defaults to prevent unexpected issues.
If you are not using one of the browsers but it is installed then you may want to consider uninstalling it as older versions of some software can pose an increase in the potential for an infection to get in.

Internet Explorer
How to reset Internet Explorer settings

Firefox
Click on Help / Troubleshooting Information then click on the Reset Firefox button.

Chrome
Start by disabling Sync
How To Delete Your Google Chrome Browser Sync Data
Chrome - Reset browser settings
If that fails then Uninstall Google Chrome and do not reinstall until sure the system is clean.

• Root Admin

Click on START and type in devmgmt.msc and press the Enter key or wait for it to show on the start menu and open it.

Then click on the the little arrow for the Disk drives and then write down the number and do a search on Google and it should come back with the MFG name.

ok...well in the Hitatchi section the first two wouldn't work. said I had no floppy disk available and closed out, the second said disk image file is corrupted, and third opens up a folder with different folders that say ASPI, DATA, DFT, and DOS.  I have no clue where to go from there and I don't want to screw anything up.

• Root Admin

Well do you know a friend or neighbor that might be able to help you?

Can you quantify SLOW ? Does it just seem a little slow or are thing unbearably SLOW ?

If the computer is really slow then you may need to take it to a shop to have them help if you cannot find someone to assist you. The current logs are not showing anything malware related that would make it slow.