PUP.Optional.Superfish.A Keeps ComingBack

Trying to figure out how to kill the PUP called PUP.Optional.Superfish.A.  It keeps returning.  Searched Malwarebytes forums and ended up following the steps listed below.  Also attached are the files from the steps.  Also I just re-ran MBAM again and the two file are back already....any insight or help would be appreciated.

PUP.Optional.Superfish.A, C:\Users\kcooper\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\http_www.superfish.com_0.localstorage, , [e04dc4de027991a5a751f2e21ae8b24e], 
PUP.Optional.Superfish.A, C:\Users\kcooper\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\http_www.superfish.com_0.localstorage-journal, , [5cd1bde5007b82b4fafe914389794eb2], 

STEP 0

RKill is a program that was developed at BleepingComputer.com that attempts to terminate known malware processes

so that your normal security software can then run and clean your computer of infections.

When RKill runs it will kill malware processes and then removes incorrect executable associations and fixes policies

that stop us from using certain tools. When finished it will display a log file that shows the processes that were

terminated while the program was running.

As RKill only terminates a program's running process, and does not delete any files, after running it you should not reboot

your computer as any malware processes that are configured to start automatically will just be started again.

Instead, after running RKill you should immediately scan your computer using the requested scans I've included.

Please download Rkill by Grinler from one of the links below and save it to your desktop.

Link 1

Link 2

• On Windows XP double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • On Windows Vista/Windows 7 or 8, right-click on the Rkill desktop icon and select Run As Administrator
  • black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
  • Do not reboot the computer, you will need to run the application again.

STEP 01

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from one of the following links: Link1 | Link2 | Link3
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • NOTE: Do not choose to allow ERUNT to add an Entry to the Startup folder. Click NO.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.
  • Click on OK
  • Then click on YES to create the folder.
  • Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

STEP 02

Please run a Threat Scan with MBAM.  If you're unable to run or complete the scan as shown below please see the following:  MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

When reinstalling the program please try the latest version.

Right click and choose "Run as administrator" to open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and from the Dashboard please Check for Updates by clicking theUpdate Now... link

Open up Malwarebytes > Settings > Detection and Protection > Enable Scan for rootkit and Under Non Malware Protection set both PUP andPUM to Treat detections as malware.

Click on the SCAN button and run a Threat Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware by clicking the Scan Now>> button.

Once completed please click on the History > Application Logs and find your scan log and open it and then click on the "copy to clipboard" button and post back the results on your next reply.

STEP 03

Please download RogueKiller and save it to your desktop.

You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Quit all running programs.
  • For Windows XP, double-click to start.
  • For Vista,Windows 7/8, Right-click on the program and select Run as Administrator to start and when prompted allow it to run.
  • Read and accept the EULA (End User Licene Agreement)
  • Click Scan to scan the system.
  • When the scan completes Close the program > Don't Fix anything!
  • Don't run any other options, they're not all bad!!
  • Post back the report which should be located on your desktop.

Thank you

Rkill.txt

Malwarebytes Scan Date 2014-07-21.txt

RKreport_SCN_07212014_172538.log

Hello,

They call me TwinHeadedEagle around here, and I'll be working with you.

Before we start please read and note the following:

icon_arrow.gif Limit your internet access to posting here, some infections just wait to steal typed-in passwords.
icon_arrow.gif Please be patient. I know it is frustrating when your PC isn't working properly, but malware removal takes time.
icon_arrow.gif Don't run any scripts or tools on your own, unsupervised usage may cause more harm than good.
icon_arrow.gif Do not paste the logs in your posts, attachments make my work easier. There is a Attach Files option below which you can use to attach your reports. Always attach reports from all tools.
icon_arrow.gif Stay with me to the end, the absence of symptoms doesn't mean that your machine is fully operational.
icon_arrow.gif Note that we may live in totally different time zones, what may cause some delays between answers.
icon_arrow.gif Do not ask for help for your business PC. Companies are making revenue via computers, so it is good thing to pay someone to repair it.
icon_arrow.gif If I don't hear from you within 3 days from this initial or any subsequent post, then this thread will be closed.

icon_idea.gif I can't foresee everything, so if anything unexpected happens, please stop and inform me!
icon_idea.gif There are no silly questions. Never be afraid to ask if in doubt!

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST_canned.png) by Farbar and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatibale with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them.
Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

Hello TwinHeadedEagle,

Thanks so much for your help!  Sorry for the delay, I hate when work travel gets in the way...

Attached are the two files you requested.  The FRST.txt and the Addition.txt file.  I ran that program a few days earlier so the Addition.txt was not generate; however, I did attached the one that was created a few days ago.

Thanks again and sorry again for the delay and please have a couple of beers on me. 

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

No problem. We have few steps to complete, although they won't take much time:

First, go to Control Panel and uninstall following (skip lines that cannot be uninstalled):
- Adobe Reader XI
- Java 7 Update 55
- McAfee Security Scan Plus
- Mozilla Firefox Packages

Latest versions of Java and Adobe Reader available here --> http://www.java.com/en/ and here http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/
Make sure to uncheck optional offers.

FRST.gif Fix with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

icon_exclaim.gif This fix was created for this user for use on that particular machine. icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif Running it on another one may cause damage and render the system unstable. icon_exclaim.gif

Download attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop:

Both files, FRST and fixlist.txt have to be in the same location or the fix will not work!

• Right-click on FRST.gif icon and select RunAsAdmin.jpg Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Press the Fix button just once and wait.
  • If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
  • When finished FRST will generate a log on the Desktop, called Fixlog.txt.

Please post it to your reply.

51a46ae42d560-malwarebytes_anti_malware. Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.

• Install the progam and select update.
  • Once updated, click the Settings tab, in the left panel choose Detctions & protection and tick Scan for rootkits.
  • Click the Scan tab, choose Threat Scan is checked and click Scan Now.
  • If threats are detected, click the Apply Actions button. You will now be prompted to reboot. Click Yes.
  • Upon completion of the scan (or after the reboot), click the History tab.
  • Click Application Logs and double-click the Scan Log.
  • At the bottom click Export and choose Text file.

Save the file to your desktop and include its content in your next reply.

adwcleaner_new.png Fix with AdwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save the file to your desktop.

• Right-click on adwcleaner_new.png icon and select RunAsAdmin.jpg Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Follow the prompts and click Scan.
  • When finished, please click Clean.
  • Upon completion, click Report. A log (AdwCleaner[s*].txt) will open.

Please include the contents of that file in your reply.

fixlist.txt

• Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!