Scanning individual files or items

Im using ver 2.0.2.1012 of MBAM   I used to be able to scan individual items by right clicking on them and then selecting 'scan with malwarebytes' from the menu  Now when I right click an item, that option no longer seems to be available. Im using the free version. Has this feature been removed?   Thank you  :)

Thank you for the response. I went into the settings and selected "yes"  for 'explorer content menu entry.' Still, when I right-click an item, there is no option for MBAM to scan the individual item. My AV program appears in the menu, but not MBAM. In previous versions, it used to. I can't really remember if I tried to use this feature since I updated to ver 2.0.2.1012. Am I doing something wrong, or I am I missing something? 

I rebooted and it still isn't working. "Explorer content menu entry" is enabled. I have two PCs running windows 7, one is home version and one is enterprise. MBAM is not present in the menu when you right-click, on either PC.  Both are fairly new re-installations of the OS. Is there a way to pin MBAM to the menu that pops up when you right-click? Is the feature, functional, but just missing from the menu?

Hi:

It's likely just a minor "hiccup" associated with the upgrade.

(The context menu entry requires integration with Windows OS and -- often -- a reboot. That's one reason why this option is disabled by default in version 2. That way, basic users who do not often use this feature won't have to reboot their computers after most routine MBAM program updates...)

Here are the next steps to troubleshoot:

• Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  • If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)
  • NOTE: There is an FAQ section with valuable information located here - Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Thank you everyone for your replies! It's working! I did the clean removal process, re-installed MBAM, then enabled 'explorer content menu entry' and now MBAM appears in the menu when I right-click an item. I tried the same process last night and it didnt work, but I didn't turn off my AV program as was suggested in your instructions, daledoc1. This seems to have made the difference. Thank you again very much, Ive been very happy with MBAM over the years and I appreciate the support.  :)

Excellent! :)

Yes, it might have been a hiccup, or your AV, or even MBAM's own Self-Protection module (when it's enabled, it does just that, and blocks changing/moving/removing certain MBAM files).

In any event, a clean reinstall often resolves such minor issues.

Thanks for the follow-up and for your support.

ALSO, for additional information:
There is an FAQ Section here: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions
And here are links to the MBAM 2.0 User Guide: Online and PDF
And there are many useful KB topics and videos at the helpdesk support page

Take care,

• 1 year later...

A simpler option is to turn off "Explorer context menu entry" and then turn it back on. That worked for me, so I didn't need to spend more effort going through the clean uninstall Malwarebytes and then reinstall. Anyone else seeing the issue started in this topic, give my suggestion a go first and if unlucky then use the advice about reinstalling from the other helpful folk here. 

Hi, @arjaydavis:

You wrote:

A simpler option is to turn off "Explorer context menu entry" and then turn it back on. That worked for me, so I didn't need to spend more effort going through the clean uninstall Malwarebytes and then reinstall. Anyone else seeing the issue started in this topic, give my suggestion a go first and if unlucky then use the advice about reinstalling from the other helpful folk here. 

This is a very old thread, based on a now-outdated version of MBAM.  The OP and others may not be following the thread now.

But, yes, you are correct.

Sometimes, just "toggling" the setting will work. :)

In other cases, some users have fixed the issue by:

• Toggling it to "No"
  • Rebooting the computer
  • Toggling it to "Yes"
  • Rebooting the computer

Others do need to reinstall MBAM to fix minor corruption.

Bottom line: the "fix" depends on several factors.  Simply turning it "off" and then "on" again works for some folks, as you reported.

Thanks again,