[SOLVED] MBAE and Avast conflict under Windows XP with Firefox "Save As"

Blue Gascon

I do not have a lot of junk plugins or extensions in FF so I doubt that is the problem. And again, this is with a FRESH FF 27.0 install, even with a clean test profile. After testing the clean profile I did restore bookmarks, etc from a Mozilla backup of my old profile that was made before removing FF. I will create another clean test profile and report results.

Have you tried running Firefox in "SafeMode" yet? Also, it might help if you would list your extensions and plugins. It's not a clean profile anymore when you restore certain functions from an old backup.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens when stop MBAE protection and specify a different download location, then enable protection again? Does the issue persist?

You could try resetting the download folder.

Type about:config in the address bar and confirm the warning message.

In the search field, enter browser.download, you will find a few entries:

browser.download.dir

browser.download.downloadDir

browser.download.folderList

browser.download.lastDir

browser.download.useDownloadDir

If any of these have a status of user set, right click the entry and click 'reset' in the menu.

Does it happen when downloading different file types? E.g. .exe, .pdf, .doc, .zip, etc.?

• Staff

Thanks for the logfiles Blue Gascon!

Unfortunately they don't show anything.

We will create a new version to test something different. I'll be in touch via PM to send you that.

In the meantime the suggestions from danburrito are very good. Could you try what he's saying to discard to rule out any potential plugins?

What happens when stop MBAE protection and specify a different download location, then enable protection again? Does the issue persist?

You could try resetting the download folder.

Type about:config in the address bar and confirm the warning message.

In the search field, enter browser.download, you will find a few entries:

browser.download.dir

browser.download.downloadDir

browser.download.folderList

browser.download.lastDir

browser.download.useDownloadDir

If any of these have a status of user set, right click the entry and click 'reset' in the menu.

Does it happen when downloading different file types? E.g. .exe, .pdf, .doc, .zip, etc.?

danburrito,

Thanks for your input, but ALL your suggestions were addressed in previous entries in this thread. If you read the entire thread you will see:

1. I COMPLETELY removed Firefox and reinstalled from a fresh download

2. I created a COMPLETELY new profile with no modifications.

3. I tried FF in safe mode with the new profile.

4. I CANNOT change the download location. This is a big part of the problem. NO browse functions, including browsing to a new download location, will work within FF whilw MBAE protection is active.

5. Disabling MBAE protection and resatrting FF restores all browse functions within FF.

Sorry for the delay but I was occupied with another obligation both last night and this morning.

pbust, regarding the new version, I got your message but the link brought me to a message where there is no file attached. As soon as I can get the file I will:

1. Remove the cusrrent version of MBAE

2. Install the new test version supplied.

3. I will then start FF in safe mode with the clean profile, attempt to browse to a new download location, then attempt to perform a download. When all this is done I will shut down FF, Stop MBAE protection, and then post logs in a zip file.

Just uninstalled current version of MBAE.

To be completely clear-

1. I ran the uninstall, then rebooted.

2. I deleted the entire directory at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

3. I ran CCleaner to clean all Internet Cache in FF and to remove any MBAE registry artifacts.

4. I also ran a searh in windows and deleted any prefetch files related to MBAE.

Waiting for the new file so I can reinstall MBAE and proceed as outlined above.

OK. Here's the step by step of what I just did:

1. Installed MBAE from file supplied.
2. Rebooted
3. Started MBAE
4. Started FF using clean profile
5. restrted FF with addons disabled
6. attempted to use Tools>Options to browse to new downloads folder - no folder list appears, cannot browse.
7. Navigated to http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/.
8. attempted to download file.
9. File downloaded to default downloads folder.
10. Used FF Tools>Options to select "Always ask me where to save files"
11. Attempted to download file again.
12. Initial Save dialog appeared, selecting Save produces hourglass but no folder list. No file is downloaded.
13. Closed FF.
14. Navigated to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit to confirm files exist.
15. Used 7zip to create Malwarebytes Anti-ExploitSPECIAL2.7z from all files at location.
16. Stopped MBAE protection.
17. restarted FF and navigated to https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=142225&page=2
18. Signed in and uploaded attached zip file.

OK. Here's the step by step of what I just did:

In prep-
1. uninstalled MBAE
2. deleted C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\MalwarebytesAnti-Exploit
3. rebooted and ran ccleaner to get rid of registry artifacts.
4. rebooted.

Then -
1. Installed MBAE from file supplied.
2. Rebooted
3. Made sure MBAE was running
4. Started FF using clean profile
5. restarted FF with addons disabled
6. attempted to use Tools>Options to browse to new downloads folder - no folder list appears, cannot browse.
7. Navigated to https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=118816
8. attempted to download file.
9. File downloaded to default downloads folder.
10. Closed and restarted FF in Safe Mode
11. Used FF Tools>Options to select "Always ask me where to save files"
12. Attempted to download file again.
13. Initial Save dialog appeared, selecting Save produces hourglass but no folder list. No file is downloaded.
14. Closed FF.
15. Navigated to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit to confirm files exist.
16. Used 7zip to create Malwarebytes Anti-ExploitSPECIAL3.7z from all files at location.
17. Stopped MBAE protection.
18. restarted FF and navigated to https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=142225&page=2
19. Signed in and uploaded attached zip file.

Malwarebytes Anti-ExploitSPECIAL3.7z

Easy enough to try - just did this. Unfortunately it changed nothing. There is still no ability to browse folder structure from within FireFox while MBAE protection is active. Disabling protection restores the display of folder lists when using features to browse to locations.

• Staff

It's on our short-list of important bugs to fix, so you definitely got our attention. We're writing a new tool to test for incompatibilities. But it might be faster if we remote into your computer to perform some tests. Would that be OK? If so let me know and I'll PM you the details.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I am running xp pro, sp3, firefox29 is my default browser, ie8 also installed. Fully updated with microsoft updates.

Installed, avast free antivirus, spywareblaster, mbam free,

When firefox was updated 3 days ago from 28 to 29, mbae stopped any downloads and would not let me change the download location also.

These are the steps I followed for the last 3 days, reset firefox several times, created new profile and deleted other profiles, uninstalled and reinstalled firefox, disabled antivirus. ran firefox in it's safe mode with no addons or plugins.

Finally, I disabled all scanners and started them one by one until I found that MBAE was the culprit.

I stopped the service and was able to change the download location because the browse button finally worked, but I could get no downloads.

So next I uninstalled MBAE and now downloading fine and downloads are going to my desktop as per my choice.

MBAE worked fine with firefox28, I did not want to uninstall it and if the bug gets fixed then I would like to reinstall.

thanks.

I had both MBAM and MBAE installed for at least the last month, before was just MBAM.

The issue is with MBAE, which I have now uninstalled. I would like to install again, except for the download problem, and there was also an issue with my staying logged in at the xp forums here

Installed, avast free antivirus, spywareblaster, mbam free,

This is what I have installed AFTER uninstalling MBAE

At this time Firefox29 is working as it should in regards to downloading and staying logged in at the xp forums.

I hope this clarified the issue.

@John L. Galt

@pbust

After I uninstalled MBAE, I thought I might need the version, but it was too late, already gone, however it was only installed for approx 3 weeks if that helps.

Meanwhile I am off to download the latest version from the link above to see if the issue persists.

Thanks. :)

Okay, just got through installing the latest version and the issue is still the same. no downloads, nor does the button to decide where the download location is to be , working.

I am going to uninstall again.

Thanks, if you need any other info, let me know. :)

Please:

Your Firefox installation - is it completely default, or have you made any modifications (not installing addons, but other stuff, like moving the profile, etc.) to it?

Would you be willing to make a (temporary) second profile and reinstalling MBAE and seeing if the issue occurs in a brand new untouched profile?

I will do  this, but first let me say that I have tried it on a completely default firefox straight from download, with add-ons and without add=ons, one at a time addons, with each customization one at a time, the only customization by the way is to have tabs load in background.

Will post back after trial.