Blue Gascon

[SOLVED] MBAE and Avast conflict under Windows XP with Firefox "Save As"

Hi Elizabeth23, can you please post or PM me the logs from DDS (google it). It's similar to a HijackThis.

Hi, note: in the new profile downloads will happen and will download to the default location, cannot choose location, and when I click on the button to always ask for location, then no download will occur.

here are the two dds logs:

PBUST EDIT: saved the dds log as attachment instead of inline

attach.zip

DDS.txt

Kewl, since Pedro is on the case, I'll back off and let him handle things as he looks at your logs and such.

it is interesting to note, however, that if you make Fx ask you where to download the file every time, it breaks, whereas if you set a single download location it works.  Definitely sounds like MBAE interference here.

I'll play around with mine as well and see if I can replicate your issue using that setting in Fx Options in order ot provide Pedro with another data point.

Thanks for the logs Elizabeth. To discard potential conflicts could you please try disabling/closing the following and trying again?:

Avast! Online Security browser plugin  --  BHO: avast! Online Security: {8E5E2654-AD2D-48bf-AC2D-D17F00898D06} - c:\program files\avast software\avast\aswWebRepIE.dll
AdFender  --  StartupFolder: c:\docume~1\alluse~1\startm~1\programs\startup\adfender.lnk - c:\program files\adfender\AdFender.exe

After disabling the above make sure to close and restart Firefox before testing again.

If the problem persists, could you please delete all the files from the MBAE logs directory at "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit", replicate the problem and then attach the MBAE log files here?

Thanks for all your patience and help!

Replicated.... Will work on getting this fixed. Thanks!

Seems to be a conflict with Avast!

The issue was not fixed with abfeneder disabled and with avast disabled, If I choose to ask where to download, I will not get a download, if i let it download to default location of Downloads folder it will download on the uncustomized profile, but not on the customized profile.

I do not have the avast online security plug in installed in firefox, nor is it running in IE, I opened avast interface and disabled for ten minutes while running test.

here is the log:

mbae-default.zip

Thanks again Elizabeth. I managed to replicate it by simply installing avast!. If I completely uninstall avast! (instead of disable) the problem disappears and I can again "Save as..." and choose download location even with MBAE installed.

I'll get in touch with the folks at avast to see if they can white-list us completely.

Okay, Then I will leave mbae installed and delete the other profile, I have to have an antivirus so I will keep avast since they are still supporting XP, thanks. :)

If you'd like to keep MBAE installed you can also use Microsoft Essentials which also still supports XP.

only for one more year for MSE, and several threads have been started on probs with MSE after support date even though they are still supposed to be updating.

Have not had too many probs with avast so far, I do not like their online security. I have 2 other xps that are running 360 Internet security from Quiho, no probs so far and I want to install MBAE on those and see how that will work out, I have not updated firefox on those two yet until I had this prob figured out.

Thanks.

The folks at Avast confirmed to me they will be looking at the issue. They've been great so far and very proactive and quick to respond, so I'm sure we'll find out soon.

Awesome news, Pedro.

So, am I to assume that this is strictly related to their aggressive detection methods?  And, if so, that it will not generate another test build?

Yes, probably some conflict with their browser protection techniques.

Not sure about what it will result in (build or sig update). We'll have to wait to hear back from the avast folks.

Hi, again, just a note, I uninstalled avast and installed 360 Internet security from Quiho, and have no problems even with MBAE installed.

I will stick with this one for awhile until avast gets fixed. Thanks.

Just downloaded MalwareBytes Anti-exploit vers 0.10.3.0100 yesterday.

Today, I discovered I was having some trouble with Firefox browser.

Using Windows XP, I could not "open file", or "save file", or in the case of displaying root directory function:  Nothing happened.   Other browsers (Chrome, IE8) seemed to work fine.

Uninstalled and re-installed new copy of Firefox... no different!  Same problems.

Considering recent additions and realizing that I just downloaded a Beta:  Anti-exploit.  Decided to "stop protection" which I did.  VOILA!  Problem solved!  All functions of Firefox Save, Open, etc worked normally.  Couldn't believe it at first, had to Start and Stop Anti-exploit repeatedly a few times to comfirm.

Yunko

Can you guys test the latest version of Avast to see if this issue has been fixed already? We're not seeing it anymore with the latest Avast.