IE11 back to IE9?

Ed_Dowdy

If you select the option to show "updates" in your Add/Remove it should show IE 11 as an option to uninstall.  It should then go back to IE 10 for you.

On Windows 8.1 though they say that it cannot be uninstalled and is part of the Windows 8.1 update.

More people should be screaming about this forced MSIE 11 "update" that doesn't work (and can't be removed/downgraded) on half the sites and less about the darned START button being missing.

IMHO, YMMV,

Steve

I'm running Win7 Pro 64bit. I was able to back it to IE 10, but Battlefield 4 won't let me log in. Same problem as IE 11. Battlefield wanted to run an update, but it wouldn't run in IE 11. Runs fine in FF 25. I'm starting to get used to FF.

Ed

There are alternatives to Firefox as well (although I doubt that any of them would fix the Battlefield 4 issue). Here's a quick list:

• Google Chrome
  • SRWare Iron (built on Chromium, so basically it's Google Chrome with some of the potentially privacy-invading features removed, although I've heard claims of more security vulnerabilities)
  • Opera 18 (also built on Chromium, but styled to look more like Opera's own web browser)
  • Opera 12 (Opera's own web browser, built using their 'Presto' layout engine)
  • Avant (can use the Trident/IE layout engine, the Gecko/Firefox layout engine, and the WebKit/Chromium layout engine to allow for excellent compatibility)
  • Lunascape (also capable of using all three major browser layout engines)

BF4 runs fine on FF 26. I just have to get used to it. I just prefer IE. Thanks a bunch for the suggestions! One of the irks of FF. In IE I can hit Alt-s to send something in a forum like this. Here I have to click on post because I don't know the shortcut...

Ed

There are alternatives to Firefox as well (although I doubt that any of them would fix the Battlefield 4 issue). Here's a quick list:

• Opera 12 (Opera's own web browser, built using their 'Presto' layout engine)

Might you have any idea how long Opera 12 will be supported?  I kind of hate Opera 18 at the moment... I wish they hadn't changed it.

Funny how our individual tastes will vary. I've really come to like Opera...well, I think it was 15 when I started and now it's up to 18. I've liked speed dials since Firefox had it as an add on, and it forces me to keep the saved links to a manageable and relevant number. For websites I know I'll want to revisit for only a short time, I use Stash. My other favourite sites are speed dials organized in groups that I've labelled and arranged to my liking. It keeps my browser a lot less cluttered and it can find things more easily. I like the Discover feature as well. And now that I can add my pretty theme, it actually has become my favourite browser.

I just got IE 11 successfully installed on my windows 7 NetBook. I had no luck with Windows Update, I had to run the installer using IE directly from the Microsoft.go website. It's updating now. I don't know how much I'll use it, but at least this gives me a chance to try it. I won't have that on my Windows 8 laptop, and I'm not interested in installing 8.1 on the laptop, so it looks like it'll be IE 10 there. :)

Might you have any idea how long Opera 12 will be supported?  I kind of hate Opera 18 at the moment... I wish they hadn't changed it.

Opera 12 is currently only receiving security updates. I don't remember if they intend on doing bugfixes as well.

I think they have yet to set an end date for this (probably waiting to see what the reception of Chromium-based Opera is first), however it is clear that Chromium-Opera is the only thing they actually care about at the moment.

Right now the only thing I actually use that version of Opera for is logging in to my Twitch.tv account and streaming gameplay. My streaming dashboard seems to only work right in Chromium (I assume it works in Firefox as well), and in Opera 12 I can't even use the dropdown menu to get to the dashboard. In IE8 and IE10 I can't log in to the Twitch.tv website, and in IE9 the chat never loads. Twitch.tv has a terrible website, and I swear it used to work better and in more browsers. Not sure what on Earth the website dev team at Justin.tv Inc is doing...