I've been hit with the FBI Ransom Malware.

Fire1

Hello,

Thanks to my son, my laptop has been infected with the FBI ransom malware. After logging in, everything seem fine but at the end of loading profile, I get a screen basically saying that I have been to an illegal website and wanting money to unlock my computer. Of course, it is locked up and I can not do any thing. I get the same in "Safe Mode" login too. I'm running Windows XP and the current version of Malwarebyte didn't stop it from entering. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Good, I don't need a screen shot right now, lets clear out any remaining infection.

Please download and run RogueKiller 32 Bit to your desktop.

RogueKiller 64 Bit <---use this one for 64 bit systems

Quit all running programs.

For Windows XP, double-click to start.

For Vista or Windows 7-8, do a right-click on the program, select Run as Administrator to start, & when prompted Allow to run.

Click Scan to scan the system.

When the scan completes > Close out the program > Don't Fix anything!

Don't run any other options, they're not all bad!!!!!!!

Post back the report which should be located on your desktop.

(please don't put logs in code or quotes and use the default font)

MrC

Okay, ran it and here is the report:

RogueKiller V8.6.12 [sep 18 2013] by Tigzy
mail : tigzyRK<at>gmail<dot>com
Blog : http://tigzyrk.blogspot.com/

Operating System : Windows XP (5.1.2600 Service Pack 3, v.3264) 32 bits version
Started in : Normal mode
User : Fire1 [Admin rights]
Mode : Scan -- Date : 09/23/2013 18:55:21
| ARK || FAK || MBR |

¤¤¤ Bad processes : 0 ¤¤¤

¤¤¤ Registry Entries : 5 ¤¤¤
[PROXY IE][PUM] HKCU\[...]\Internet Settings : ProxyEnable (1) -> FOUND
[HJ SECU][PUM] HKLM\[...]\Security Center : AntiVirusDisableNotify (1) -> FOUND
[HJ SECU][PUM] HKLM\[...]\Security Center : FirewallDisableNotify (1) -> FOUND
[HJ SECU][PUM] HKLM\[...]\Security Center : UpdatesDisableNotify (1) -> FOUND
[HJ DESK][PUM] HKLM\[...]\NewStartPanel : {20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} (1) -> FOUND

¤¤¤ Scheduled tasks : 0 ¤¤¤

¤¤¤ Startup Entries : 2 ¤¤¤
[Administrator][Rans.Gendarm] msconfig.lnk : C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\msconfig.lnk @C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe c:\docume~1\alluse~1\applic~1\ri6zwi.dat,FG00 [-][-][x] -> FOUND
[Fire1][Rans.Gendarm] msconfig.lnk : C:\Documents and Settings\Fire1\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\msconfig.lnk @C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe c:\docume~1\alluse~1\applic~1\ri6zwi.dat,FG00 [-][-][x] -> FOUND

¤¤¤ Web browsers : 0 ¤¤¤

¤¤¤ Particular Files / Folders: ¤¤¤

¤¤¤ Driver : [LOADED] ¤¤¤

¤¤¤ External Hives: ¤¤¤

¤¤¤ Infection : Rans.Gendarm ¤¤¤

¤¤¤ HOSTS File: ¤¤¤
--> %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

127.0.0.1       localhost

¤¤¤ MBR Check: ¤¤¤

+++++ PhysicalDrive0: ( @ )  -  +++++
--- User ---
[MBR] 7108622ecbff1dd410576848592d108f
[bSP] e82bf694fe43c6b7390da1003ba6e9e5 : Windows XP MBR Code
Partition table:
0 - [ACTIVE] NTFS (0x07) [VISIBLE] Offset (sectors): 63 | Size: 152625 Mo
User = LL1 ... OK!
User = LL2 ... OK!

Finished : << RKreport[0]_S_09232013_185521.txt >>

Run RogueKiller again and click Scan

When the scan completes > click on the Registry tab (I'm not sure where these are listed but find where)

Put a check next to all of these and uncheck the rest: (if found)

[Administrator][Rans.Gendarm] msconfig.lnk : C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\msconfig.lnk @C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe c:\docume~1\alluse~1\applic~1\ri6zwi.dat,FG00 [-][-][x] -> FOUND

[Fire1][Rans.Gendarm] msconfig.lnk : C:\Documents and Settings\Fire1\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\msconfig.lnk @C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe c:\docume~1\alluse~1\applic~1\ri6zwi.dat,FG00 [-][-][x] -> FOUND

Now click Delete on the right hand column under Options

------------------------------------------------------

Then...............

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit from HERE

• Unzip the contents to a folder in a convenient location.
  • Open the folder where the contents were unzipped and run mbar.exe
  • Follow the instructions in the wizard to update and allow the program to scan your computer for threats.
  • Click on the Cleanup button to remove any threats and reboot if prompted to do so.
  • Wait while the system shuts down and the cleanup process is performed.
  • Perform another scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit to verify that no threats remain. If they do, then click Cleanup once more and repeat the process.
  • When done, please post the two logs produced they will be in the MBAR folder..... mbar-log.txt and system-log.txt
To attach a log if needed:

Bottom right corner of this page.

reply1.jpg

New window that comes up.

replyer1.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note:

If no additional threats were found, verify that your system is now running normally, making sure that the following items are functional:

Internet access

Windows Update

Windows Firewall

If there are additional problems with your system, such as any of those listed above or other system issues, then run the fixdamage tool included with Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit and reboot. It's located in the Plugins folder which is in the MBAR folder.

Just run fixdamage.exe.

Verify that they are now functioning normally.

MrC

OK...it's important to run a couple of more scans:

Please download and run ComboFix.

The most important things to remember when running it is to disable all your malware programs and run Combofix from your desktop.

Please visit this webpage for download links, and instructions for running ComboFix

Ensure you have disabled all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

Information on disabling your malware programs can be found Here.

Make sure you run ComboFix from your desktop.  

Give it at least 30-45 minutes to finish if needed.

Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply for further review.

---------->NOTE<----------

If you get the message Illegal operation attempted on registry key that has been marked for deletion after you run ComboFix....please reboot the computer, this should resolve the problem. You may have to do this several times if needed.

MrC

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!