Lifetime licenses going away?

While discussing Enterprise licensing with a representative from MalwareBytes (business licenses are annual subscriptions), I mentioned that the home licenses were lifetime instead of annual. The representative said, "Oh, the Lifetime licenses are going away in about a month..."

I realize that verbal statements are not exactly official. Can I please get a more official stance on this subject? Need I mention the representative's name or extension #?

Thank you,

Hello and :welcome:

I am not on the Malwarebytes Staff, but the Lifetime licenses are only good for the Consumer Version (Home Users) of Malwarebytes. You can not use the Consumer version in a business environment as that is a direct violation of the EULA.

You would have to continue using the Enterprise Edition which you need to renew on a yearly basis.

If I am wrong, I am sure one of the staff members will come along and correct me.

I am not saying that past or current Lifetime licenses will no longer be lifetime licenses, that is not the question either. Of course a lifetime license is and will always be a lifetime license. But I was verbally told that they are doing away with them, meaning they will stop selling any more lifetime licenses. I am trying to confirm this or deny this more officially than a verbal statement over the phone.

• Root Admin

Lifetime licenses will always be lifetime licenses. If we ever choose to switch to a subscription basis for home users, existing customers will not be affected.

We've already started this for the Secure Backup product, for example. We bill per year, because the costs for us are per year as well.

Thank you for clarifying that Lifetime Licenses will always be Lifetime Licenses.

Do you have any official statement as to whether or when "choosing to switch to a subscription basis for home users" will or will not be occurring?

I can't help but point out that the question I specifically asked was, well, dodged. Based on solely what you've said so far, I'm left reading between the lines that you might in fact choose to do so, and that you've already started this for the Secure Backup product. If you do wish to take an official stance on the actual subject, I respectfully ask that you please do so.

Thank you for clarifying that Lifetime Licenses will always be Lifetime Licenses.

Do you have any official statement as to whether or when "choosing to switch to a subscription basis for home users" will or will not be occurring?

I can't help but point out that the question I specifically asked was, well, dodged. Based on solely what you've said so far, I'm left reading between the lines that you might in fact choose to do so, and that you've already started this for the Secure Backup product. If you do wish to take an official stance on the actual subject, I respectfully ask that you please do so.

The official statement has always been that any Existing Lifetime License will always exist "as is" -

There has (so far) never been any mention of change to the existing setup, and even if changed it will never affect current users.

This is the only policy that Marcin or others at Admin level will ever post, as there is no current proposed changes.

This question has now been asked for several years and the above reply has always been the same -

SUPERAntiSpyware have always listed a small price due to the company being smaller (although it has been sold) -

There will still always be a Free Version of this program (MBAM), but the company has never been overly greedy with yearly licenses -

Thank You -

• Root Admin

The idea has been tossed around for many years. If we do it, we'll let you know far in advance and if you're an existing customer you won't be affected.

Our goal is to provide anti-malware to those who need it, and that's why we have a free version that will scan for and remove.

Thank you for the further clarification. I received information that this change was happening in "about a month" and so I wanted to confirm this as officially as possible. You can understand my concern at finding out that MalwareBytes might be enacting such a change in a short timeframe without any notice to be found. If you say we will receive notice of such a change far in advance, I doubt anyone would ever find fault with that (though there will always be reactionary complaints).

I am confident that the decision to, if ever, change the licensing available for purchase, would be made as a result of improvements to the product increasing its value to the point that it substantiates an annual cost.

I especially appreciate your very prompt replies and proving that, unlike so many companies who seem to take no interest in, let alone participate in their own forums, you genuinely care about, listen to, and respond to your users.