For the Nikon fans with deep wallets

AdvancedSetup

man ... that lens is about the same price as my first house was !

(which may or may not say much about the joint)

good equipment is pricey ... but i wonder how much of that price is paying for someone's vacation in barbados .

many years ago i did the recon for three tv studio cameras .

i was given a budget , the owner said : "try to keep it where the weeds have been mowed" .

the cams wound up costing about 35 kilobucks each ... they were "last year's model" .

i was able to get a lower price as the sales person let some information slip :

"i need three for now ... maybe a couple more down the road , and an engineer at another station will be in the market for a couple in a month or so ..."

"no problem , if you buy three up front i can let them go for 40 grand each ... there are several in stock and i can give you and the other engineer the same price in a month ..."

"are the serial numbers above "xxxx.xx" ?"

"let me check ... (paper rustling , mumbling) , no , they are all below that number ."

"so what you have in stock is the older model that needs to be retrofitted and circuit modifications made to improve the response and reliability ..."

"errr ... yes , i suppose so ..."

"you do realize that first , i have to tell the owner what the deal is , and second , i have to work on the cams before they are put in service ."

"uhhh ... that may be true ... but ..."

"it is true ... no way around it ... if the price was low enough , the owner might go for it ."

"ok ... i'll take a grand off each of them ."

"let's see here , you have a bunch of these and they have been sitting around collecting dust , i am going to recommend them to a friend ... naaaa , you better sharpen your pencil some more ."

(a little haggling ensues)

"ok , you can have them for 35 grand each , shipping included and you'll tell the other engineer to buy them too ."

"yes , you will have confirmation from the station owner on my end and hear back from the other engineer within the hour ."

the cams arrived in a few days .

I want a really nice camera someday... when I can afford it... and I really like Nikon. I have a Nikon digital camera that I bought in 2006 and it is still going strong and I've never had an issue with it, aside from a momentary freeze once or twice.

Mostly I want a really good one to take pictures of animals, nature, and especially birds. I love birds.

:)

Thanks Ron :)

Well, for one, my camera hesitates. I click the shoot button & it takes up to 5 seconds before it takes the pic, so if I am taking a picture of a critter, well, if the critter is quick, no picture :( That is one thing that bugs me. Other than that I love my camera.

I thought I had. I can no longer access the user guide online, and I am not sure if I still have the one that came with it... but, I am going to keep trying. that is the only thing that annoys/frustrates me about my camera. Other than that, I love it. It's a CoolPix L3.