2 csrss.exe Running In Task Manager - Is That Normal?

tree_fu_go

Before you read, this probably isn't that improtant and I don't need an immediate reply. So if you are busy, I can wait.

I noticed 1 csrss.exe running in task manager but when I check 'Show Processes From All Users' I see 2. There is only 1 user on this computer.

They are both running under the user name SYSTEM. I was searching about it and I think some people said that was normal.

But I saw something on a website that if its in the start folder when you search it to delete it immediently as it should start automaticlly at startup and shouldn't be there. (I can't remember exactly what it siad but it was something like that)

I just want to make sure if this is true or not as it is in my startup folder and I don't want to delete it if it isn't some kind of virus in case I muck up my computer.

I've done a scan with avast free and malwarebytes free and they both came up with nothing.

Also I read that in properties of csrss.exe if its got a page icon picture thing then its a virus. A couple of days ago I checked and it had a page icon but now it doesn't so I'm not really sure.

Thanks for your time.

• Root Admin

No it's not normal but by name alone it can be valid or an infection and we would need more information to assist you.

What issues are you having or seeing on the computer aside from the name ?

csrss.exe if legit is: Client/Server Runtime Subsystem

Have you run an MBAM Quick Scan? What were the results?

If you are having issues with mawlare threats then you should follow the advice from here: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

Thanks

Well I haven't noticed anything other then the 2 processes. One day, looking in the task manager I saw 2 csrss.exe. When I click to open properties on both of them only one csrss.exe properties window comes up, I have to close the one thats open to open the other csrss.exe's properties window. I'm not sure what that means but thats what happens.

Both of their properties are exactly the same:

Type of file: Application (.exe)

Description: Client Server Runtime Process

Size: 7.50KB (7,680 bytes)

Size on disk: 8.00KB (8,192 bytes)

Details

Product name: Microsot® Windows® Operating System

Product version: 6.1.7600.16385

Copyright: ® Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Size: 0 bytes

Data modified:

Language: English (United States)

Original filename: CSRSS.Exe

The first csrss.exe thats in task manager uses: 2,316K of memory

And the second uses: 2,480K of memory.

They rarley ever use CPU and if they do its around 1-3 CPU.

I'm not sure what else I can tell you.

Umm I'm not sure if this is related to the double csrss.exe but:

When I first started this topic, I'm pretty sure there was only 1 of taskeng.exe and taskhost.exe . (around 8 hours ago)

A couple of hours after I started this topic, there was 2 taskeng.exe (1st running as SYSTEM using around 3,600K, 2nd one running as my user using 3,036 - 3,072K) (around 6 hours ago)

When I started typing this post you are reading right now, there were 2 taskhost.exe, (1st running as SYSTEM using around 4,164K, 2nd running as my user, I didnt remember the K of memory) (A few minutes ago)

After typing some stuff on this post, 1 taskeng.exe dissappeared, leaving the one running as my user. And 1 taskhost.exe dissappeared, leaving the one running as my user. (A couple of minutes ago)

Then, the other taskeng.exe came back.

Now, there are no copies of taskeng.exe or taskhost.exe.

Um so basicly copies of taskeng.exe and taskhost.exe keep coming and going.

I'm not sure if this is normal or not, or if they have got to do with the 2 csrss.exe..

There are still 2 csrss.exe and they haven't changed. The only difference is the 2nd csrss.exe is using 2 K's more then before, 2,488K.

Wait, I could be infected? You sure its not a just computer problem?

In the I'm Infected - what do i do know post, the dds scan thing isn't a virus....?? Just checking..? And when I do what the topic says and stuff, it wont mess up my computer anymore than it may be....?? And when I post the log, it won't give out any presonal information or something like that..........?

Yes its possible that you may be infected. The experts can find out and help you get it fixed. The dds scan only produces logs, the experts may have you run other tools and provide logs so they can see whats going on and then they will give you steps to correct any issues found. The tools used are by no means viruses, but you do have to follow the instructions word for word in order to make sure things don't get messed up. The experts are trained in what they do and know how to recover your computer should something come up. There will be no personal information contained in the logs....