Point-of-Sale Skimmers: No Charge…Yet

ShyWriter

Point-of-Sale Skimmers: No Charge…Yet

If you hand your credit or debit card to a merchant who is using a wireless point-of-sale (POS) device, you may want to later verify that the charge actually went through. A top vendor of POS skimmers ships devices that will print out “transaction approved” receipts, even though the machine is offline and is merely recording the customer’s card data and PIN for future fraudulent use.

This skimmer seller is a major vendor on one of the Underweb’s most active fraud forums. Being a “verified” vendor on this fraud forum — which comes with the stamp of approval from the forum administrators, thus, enhancing the seller’s reputation — costs $5,000 annually. But this seller can make back his investment with just two sales, and judging from the volume of communications he receives from forum members, business is brisk.

This miscreant sells two classes of pre-hacked wireless Verifone POS devices: The Verifone vx670, which he sells for $2,900 plus shipping, and a Verifone vx510, which can be had for $2,500. Below is a video he posted to youtube.com showing a hacked version of the vx510 printing out a fake transaction approval receipt.

Read more at: http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/12/point-of-sale-skimmers-no-charge-yet/

Steve

• 2 months later...

There must be some robust security options which we are also trying to accomodate into outr systems as well,But people may find unusual ways to fraud and here is the latest one.But as a citizen we must also be careful before making any purchase and making transaction only in a recognised store rather than anywhere else.

Yeah I do not like it when some vendors try to use those, usually at the soccer fields here, trying to sell photos and soccer gear..... I rather pay cash....

Yeah my dad has one of these. He sells baseball/softball equipment at local tournaments. I'm not fond of them either, but I understand the reason behind not wanting to carry cash especially if you travel a lot with your kids to these things. I've seen people from different states. I think I'd prefer a check over cash.

Skimmers are and have been a problem. They are strategically placed in front of the card port on an ATM or a simple hand held unit.

In all cases, it is up to the user of ATM cards and Credit Cards to use "due diligence" and take the time to examine card reader before insertion, watch carefully the actual use of a card reader and *NEVER* let the card out of your site.

For example:

You are on an automobile trip and are outside of your normal domain and stop to refuel. Do NOT let an attendant take the card and go inside the booth or office without you following and watching the attendant and your card very carefully.

Gas stations are the worst, I had one of my CC cloned at some gas station on a trip, good thing Chase called me an alerted me about it, I am in Texas and Chase found it weird that I was trying to by tires in California. They said they had made a copy of my card and were trying to use it. Good thing I was not liable for any of the charges....