SUPER*TALENT USB 3.0 Express RC8 and other Flash/SSD drives

AdvancedSetup

• Root Admin

Recently purchased one of the SUPER*TALENT USB 3.0 Express RC8 50GB Flash Drives and thought I'd share my read/write speeds. None of the drives have had any special tweaking to try to make them faster except the OCZ Vertex drive.

Drive 1

• I get just under about 200MBps read/write on average. However in normal write with caching it will transfer a 640MB single file in a couple seconds. If I copy a 5GB single file after about 1.5GB the speed starts to drop down and continues to drop until speeds are at about 75MBps by the time the file has completed copying. So very fast for smaller file sizes but it's not as good at huge file sizes but still way faster than my normal fast USB 3 flash drive.
  • SUPER*TALENT USB 3.0 Express RC8 - 50GB Flash Drive
  • Super Talent 50GB USB3.0 Express RC8 Drive $221.92 Amazon
    0087829402566_500X500.jpg
    super_talent_usb3_express_rc8.png

Drive 2

Drive 3

Drive 4

That Super Talent drive looks nice. I have an old OCZ 16GB USB flash drive that originally got read and write speeds somewhere in the mid 20MB/s range, however it doesn't perform that well anymore. I think it is dual channel, which was rare for the time (high performance USB flash drives as mostly disappeared around the time I purchased it).

• Root Admin

You're welcome sho-dan

The OCZ Vertex 4 is supposed to be a little more stable and as fast if not faster than the ones I have in my current system. I have a few of them I picked up on the Black Friday sale for 50% off but have not gotten around to installing or testing any of them.

I use a Kanguru 64GB SuperSpeed USB3.0 Flash Drive with Physical Write-Protect Switch.

It may not be as fast as the one you have, but I mainly like them due to the fact that they have a Write-Protect Switch. I use it often while cleaning infected computers and since its write protected the malware can't transfer to my flash drive.

Model Number KF3WP Series

Capacities 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB

Interface USB3.0 (USB2.0 & 1.1 compatible)

Data Transfer Rate Max Read: 105MB/sec

Max Write: 78MB/sec

OS Compatibility

•Windows XP / Vista / 7

•Mac OSX 10.1.5+

•Linux (Kernel 2.4.1 and above, must be mounted)

Memory Type Solid State MLC NAND flash

Operating Temperature 0°C to +70°C

Storage Temperature -25°C to +85°C

Humidity Range 20% - 90%

Shock Resistance 1000G Max

Vibration 15G Peak to Peak Max

Weight 14g

Dimensions 7.7cm x 2cm x .9cm

Power Typical Read: 5 VDC @ 100mA

Typical Write: 5 VDC @ 105mA

Nice one Firefox Fu1a2.gif

The OCZ Vertex 4 is supposed to be a little more stable and as fast if not faster than the ones I have in my current system. I have a few of them I picked up on the Black Friday sale for 50% off but have not gotten around to installing or testing any of them.

hmmmm, Christmas prezzies :)

I still try to keep up with the hardware and software advancements of todays market and it's amazing.The computer techs still in the repair business have such a wide array of super duper hardware, software and prices to choose from and it can make it a dizzy trip to the store. I like dizzy. yikes. ;)

;

Thanks guys, that write protect switch has saved me lots of head aches for sure. I have worked on computers with it installed and when I inserted it I would get a message that would say it could not write to the drive. Thats been a while so I do not remember what infection I was fighting at the time.....