How to block computers connected router from file sharing, leaving each computer just internet access.

CDC

CDC:

Please rephrase that while fully explaining what you are trying to accomplish and adding what you are trying to accomplish in "Can you password protect ethernet ports on router?.

Lets get at the root of your problem and lets work from there.

Depending upon the Router model and capabilities, some will allow you block access to the Internet based upon the IP address of the LAN node.

A Router that has a full FireWall implementation will certainly have this kind of capability.

CDC:

Please rephrase that while fully explaining what you are trying to accomplish and adding what you are trying to accomplish in "Can you password protect ethernet ports on router?.

Lets get at the root of your problem and lets work from there.

I have a full time always on live streaming weather data monitor pluged into one ethernet port and two directv satellite recievers connected via a DECA (DirecTV Ethernet over Coax Adapter) pluged into another ethernet port. I connect my computer to the router wirelessly or plug into another ethernet port.

There are two ip addresses connected to one ethernet port each satellite reciever has a ip address. The DECA is really a coax cable to cat5 convertor.

The weather data monitor has its one ip address.

I do not want the other devices connected to the router to be able to monitor my computer internet traffic and/or access my computer.

Thanks

The Router is a combination of a TCP/IP Router and an Ethernet switch. I am trying to get a handle on your topology but I think what's going on is part of the LAN is using the Router to access the Internet. The other part doesn't need Internet access and is just using the Ethernet Switch part of the Router.

If I have this correct then you can have two distinct subnets. One that is Routed to the Internet and the other not.

For example:

Let''s assume the WAN IP is 172.98.12.13 .

The Route-able LAN is 192.168.1.x where the Router's LAN Gateway address is 192.168.1.1, LAN Net Mask is 255.255.255.0 and those nodes that should access the Internet are within the IP address range of 192.168.1.2 ~ 192.168.1.253

NOTE: You might want to record the presently used DNS Server IP addresses or use Public DNS Servers such as; 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.3

Those nodes that are NOT accessing the Internet and are using the Ethernet topology via the Ethernet switch are on 169.254.1.x where that subnet's LAN Gateway address is 169.254.1.1, the Net Mask is 255.255.255.0 and those nodes that communicate together and do NOT access the Internet are within the IP address range of 169.254.1.2 ~ 169.254.1.253.

Nodes on 192.168.1.x can't communicate with nodes that are on 169.254.1.x and vice versa while the nodes that are on 169.254.1.x will not be routed to the Internet.

The limitation is strict IP address assignments using static addressing and disabling DHCP on the Router.

The Router is a combination of a TCP/IP Router and an Ethernet switch. I am trying to get a handle on your topology but I think what's going on is part of the LAN is using the Router to access the Internet.

This might help here are links to the router manuals.

http://www.danwilson...GV-B.Manual.pdf

http://www.danwilson...1HGV.Manual.pdf

The 1st link is what I have now.

2nd link is what the ISP wants me to upgrade to.

They call it a Gateway but seems me to be a combination modem, ethernet switch,

Very High Bit-Rate DSL (VDSL) modem + Router combo.

It is a combination of a VDSL Modem and a MoCA capable Router with a 4-port E-Switch and WiFi that incorporates a FireWall implementation.

Who is the VDSL Service Provider ? AT&T ?

Who is the VDSL Service Provider ? AT&T ?

Yes, Is there a big difference between the 3800 and the 3801 and as far as acomplishing this issue: I do not want the other devices connected to the router to be able to monitor my computer internet traffic and/or access my computer. is this posible with this VDSL Modem Router.