can't download

ok, so, first i updated mcafee and ran it. it said i had 8 viruses, and needed to reboot. so i did that, then i ran the scan again. i started it eight hours ago and it's still running. its current tally is 3. i can't download malwarebytes, avira, or hijack this. every time i try, i get the dialogue box that says save or cancel. i click save, an hourglass appears momentarily, and then nothing. i'm not sure that i'm doing anything right, or that i've got my antivirus settings on correctly, either. mcafee is confusing, and i don't even know what processes or files are supposed to be here and which ones aren't. i'm afraid to touch anything; i had to reformat my hard drive recently because of virus activity and i don't want to lose everything again. help!

i couldn't stand the thought of my system being infected by these disgusting things, so when mcafee finally finished (15 hours later), i poked around until i found the log, noted where the file was, and then i googled it. there were no hits, and i figure, well, if it comes with windows, i should have been able to find ample documentation on the net for it, so it must not be a valid dll, right? so i went in to my system32 folder, and i renamed it to "TROJAN.txt". then i stuck it in a folder called "quarantine", and dropped that folder into my mcafee file. suddenly, i can download malwarebytes.

did i do good?