Any chance of virus transferring to different os?

Hey i was thinking, well i need to buy something soon, and i cant really buy with spr hacktool, a password stealer (which is now quarintined) and a possible rootkit.

So i was wondering, i could just get the vanilla version of chrome os by flow hexxeh. you just install it by converting a usb into a bootable drive and then you load it. But is there any chance of the rootkits or viruses stealing my data while on chrome? Chrome uses the internet to function. Its basically a web browser os. I just want to use it to buy something thats all.

Hi, Otherguyx:

We'll need to wait for someone more expert to answer your specific question. :)

In the interim, though, this particular sub-forum is designated for discussion of the MBAM program (installation, problems, etc).

Since your question is a bit off-topic, it might be advisable to ask that this post be moved to the PC help forum here: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showforum=6

Just a thought.

Best regards,

daledoc1

Hello Otherguyx:

You probably wish to use the word malware instead of virus.

No, they are not the same.

If someone sent you a W32.TDSS disguised file from a Mac or Linux based system to your Windows based system, that might qualify...

HTH :)

i didnt understand... yeah sure move it to off topic if you want... i dont mind. What do you mean?

If someone sent you a W32.TDSS disguised file from a Mac or Linux based system to your Windows based system, that might qualify...

and

You probably wish to use the word malware instead of virus.

No, they are not the same.

are they not the same?

Perhaps you already knew that malware is not necessarily a virus but a virus is always malware.

You probably also understand that a Mac/Linux system could propagate an infection to a Windows based computer.

Hello Otherguyx:

malware = rootkit, spyware, virus, Trojans, hacktools etc...?

...not hacktools. You would need to precisely define your term "etc".

W32.TDSS is one family name of a rootkit of which multiple variants exist in the wild.

Perhaps malware can better be defined here.

To answer the title of your original post, malware can be conveyed from other operating systems to your Windows system and Vice Versa.

HTH :)