MalwareBytes - security level needed for a full scan

Just a quick query really.

I run the free Malwarebytes as a back up on a W7 64bit system. Just used to scan (usually quick scan) the PC now and again as extra backup security and checks.

But a thought just occurred to me which I'm hoping someone can quickly answer. I know I need to right-click and 'run as admin' to update MalwareBytes, but if I want to run a full scan of the complete system, do I also need to run as admin?

i.e. if I use my normal user account and run a full scan, does it run a full scan of all files throughout the PC (including the system/admin areas) or does it just run a full scan on all files in my user area?

I'm guessing a full scan is a full scan and the lot is checked, but just hoping someone can confirm either way. Its not a major problem either way, I'd just like to know what is best to run and do I need to SCAN as admin or not.

Thanks.

Buttons,

Sorry, I don't think I follow.

I can open the GUI as a user or as admin.

I can only update as admin

I can manually run scans as user or admin. I'm not worried about scheduled scans.

That I can understand.

But what I'm trying to establish is, if I want to fully SCAN the entire PC including system areas and other user accounts, say c:\windows\system32 etc to which a user account would not normally have access, do I need to 'run as admin' and full scan, or can I run as my normal user and full scan?. i.e. will a scan initiated as a normal user still scan the system areas of the PC or indeed other user areas of the PC or does it just scan my user area and files?

Thanks

You can run it in fine in a limited account, but in order for it to be able to remove any infections found, it would require Admin rights, so its just best to start off by doing the scan as an admin in case it does find any infections and needs to clean them. So it is best to Right Click on it and then Select run as Admin...

Firefox,

thanks for that info.

It just seems that, to me, it seems to take longer to complete an admin scan than it does to complete a user scan. Quite a bit longer. Maybe not. I'll time it next time :-)

But thanks for the info, I can run a scan as 'user' and at least detect any problems.

Buttons,

Sorry, I don't think I follow.

I can open the GUI as a user or as admin.

I can only update as admin

I can manually run scans as user or admin. I'm not worried about scheduled scans.

That I can understand.

But what I'm trying to establish is, if I want to fully SCAN the entire PC including system areas and other user accounts, say c:\windows\system32 etc to which a user account would not normally have access, do I need to 'run as admin' and full scan, or can I run as my normal user and full scan?. i.e. will a scan initiated as a normal user still scan the system areas of the PC or indeed other user areas of the PC or does it just scan my user area and files?

Thanks

Apologize on that I made an error. I'm still getting somewhat use to 7 however 7 does not require you to run as admin to open the gui. As Firefox stated it will run normally with a limited account aside from updates and removal.