Interesting MBAM scan symptom (Scan doesn't finish)

During a full scan, and a targetted folder scan (right click and scan with Malwarebytes) MBAM will scan up to, and including the following path:

C:\Users\Jason\Appdata\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

Once it reaches this point, it will successfully scan every file and folder inside, but once it does, I see the scanner showing a path like this:

C:\Users\Jason\Appdata\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\\cache\cache\cache\cache\cache\cache\cache\cache (and so on and so forth)

Each time it rescans the same folder, then tacks on another \cache and rescans again in an infinite loop. Please note the double backslash (\\) after the word Default. I find this strange, and I've also checked for the existance of multiple cache directories inside this structure and only found one. As a side note, I can go directly into the Default folder, select all files, and right click to scan with Malwarebytes and this does not reproduce this problem. it will happen if I go one folder up, and right click the Default folder choosing the exact same option. I can reproduce this issue with, or without Google chrome running during the scan.

if it helps, I was forced to uninstall, and reinstall MBAM today due to other major issues after restoring my entire PC from a backup.

System information:

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

Default Browser Google Chrome

Avast! Antivirus Free

Windows Defender

and a slew of other anti malware solutions (Windows Defender and Avast! are the only resident security antivirus/antimalware application running on the system)

I have included a screenshot of the scan which shows this issue in progress using just the right click and scan option for the "Default" folder. Any suggestions on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

post-75554-0-50070000-1302071992.jpg

• Root Admin

You probably have a driver conflict with one of your security applications and MBAM.

Which version of Avast are you using?

Try running one of the following to check your disk drive. (you only need to use one method)

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows Vista or Windws 7:

• Click the Start vista-7-start.png button and type cmd
  • You should see cmd under Programs
  • Right-click on cmd and select Run as administrator
  • Click Continue at the User Account Control prompt
  • Copy and paste the following text in the code box into the black command prompt window and press Enter Note: you must right click with your mouse to paste the text into the window as CTRL+V will not work:
    echo y| chkdsk %systemdrive% /r

• Restart your computer and when it loads it will check the hard drive, don't press any keys so that is allowed to do so

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows Vista or Windws 7:

• Click the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button and click Continue at the User Account Control prompt
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • Click on the Start button
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
  • Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

Then after the restart please run the following.

Please use TFC to clear temporary files:

Run TFC by OldTimer to clear temporary files:

• Please download TFC from here or here and save it to your desktop.
  • Close any open programs and Internet browsers.
  • Double click TFC.exe to run it and once it opens click on the Start button on the lower left of the program to allow it to begin cleaning.
  • Please be patient as clearing out temp files may take a while.
  • Once it completes you may be prompted to restart your computer, please do so.
  • Once it's finished you may delete TFC.exe from your desktop or save it for later use for the cleaning of temporary files.

If the issue remains please let us know.

Avast version is 6.0.1000 (Checked as the most up-to-date version available)

chkdsk performed all 5 stages and found nothing wrong with the disk.

TFC ran successfully, requiring a reboot.

Upon restarting the computer, and loading Windows 7, I ran MBAM's right click quick scan on the same "Default" folder listed in my first post. The issue still remains, and no other system changes have been made since my first post here.

Update: Some things i forgot to add when explaining this issue...

I mentioned that I had to uninstall and reinstall MBAM after restoring my computer from a backup. The symptoms were that the program would show dialog boxes that had nothing in them, didn't produce log files, or would randomly crash. Scans still completed, and MBAM still executed startup cleaning when a reboot was required. Only since reinstalling MBAm have I had this current issue, and the program never conflicted with any other antimalware or antivirus products that I've used in the past.

When I removed it, I did a file search for anything having to do with the program and deleted those files. I also cleaned my registry afterwards using 2 different programs. At the time this backup was created, these problems were not happening, so I'm assuming it was a problem with the backup or restore, though that was the only program having any problems at all. This aforementioned backup was a full PC backup of every partition on the disk, so the PC was restored to the exact condition it was at the time of backup.

• Root Admin

Please run the following clean up routine and try the scan again.

Please do the following:

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

If it still locks up please run the following and post back both of the logs.

Download
DDS
and save it to your desktop

Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

• Root Admin

Please see the following post on how to disable Windows Defender which is not needed with your other AV in place.

Please go into your Control Panel and uninstall the following software temporarily so we can do testing. You can reinstall it later on when we're done here.

avast! Free Antivirus

IObit Security 360

Java™ SE Runtime Environment 6

Shareaza 2.5.3.0

Spybot - Search & Destroy

SUPERAntiSpyware

Do NOT go browsing the Web and if possible disconnect from the Internet while testing.

Reboot the computer one more time after all of the above have been removed.

Then run MBAM and do another scan and let us know the results please.

Reinstall and update your Avast AV once done with the MBAM scan.

I will do as you request, but please keep in mind that this particular computer is one that I use every day for pretty much everything, and I really don't like the idea of leaving it unsecured, and unusable for any period of time.

unfortunately, i won't be able to disconnect from the internet as this computer is the only way for people to contact me outside of my home. you can bet that I won't be browsing the web during this time though.

once I perform the above listed steps, I will reply with the results.

• 2 weeks later...