Malwarebytes Real-Time Protection

I've seen the full version of Malwarebytes. It bases everything on the user. The user has to set up when it updates the database and when it scans the system. Will the full version ever of REAL-TIME protection where it automatically updates throughout the day and does scans at certain times and scans things like flash drives when they and inserted into the computer? That's my opinion of real time and that is just something I expected to see in Malwarebytes.

Hello and :welcome:

Not sure what you are getting at? As with any program, when you install a program, you have to set it up, you have to configure how you want it to run according to your schedule. Once you have setup the PRO version of Malwarebytes to your liking as far as when it will update (this can be done on a daily, weekly, hourly schedule) and when it will scan, Malwarebytes is now protecting you in REAL time, including protecting you from Malicious web sites (web blocking). As for scanning a flash drive when inserted, that is the job of your anti-virus program not Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus program and it designed to work along side your anti-virus program.

Hello and :welcome:

Not sure what you are getting at? As with any program, when you install a program, you have to set it up, you have to configure how you want it to run according to your schedule. Once you have setup the PRO version of Malwarebytes to your liking as far as when it will update (this can be done on a daily, weekly, hourly schedule) and when it will scan, Malwarebytes is now protecting you in REAL time, including protecting you from Malicious web sites (web blocking).

I'm not really getting at anything. I was just surprised when Malwarebytes didn't automatically update it's definitions like Nod32 or other antivirus programs. I understand that you have to set the program up yourself that's standard with any software. I just know that programs like Nod32 run Quick Scans every so often to ensure full protection.

As for scanning a flash drive when inserted, that is the job of your anti-virus program not Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus program and it designed to work along side your anti-virus program.

I fix computers for a lot of people in my area and I've always used Malwarebytes an antivirus program. I know that it was not intended to be used like this, but I have used Nod32, Norton 360, McAfee, and AVG and in my opinion Malwarebytes by far beats all of them!! I guess that's why I expected so much of the full version.

OK, as I stated earlier, Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus program and if you are setting it up as such, you are leaving your computer and those that you help unprotected and vulnerable, you are doing them no justice by leaving them unprotected. NOD32, AVG, Norton, McAfee all anti-virus programs I have setup, will require you to either setup a schedule or modify the default schedule to perform the scans, or they force you to scan from time to time.

Malwarebytes PRO will automatically update its definitions once the scheduler is setup properly according to the schedule you set. Malwarebytes by no means can now how individuals use their computers or what time they have them on, therefore its up to each person to set a schedule that best fits there needs. The FREE version of Malwarebytes is the only one that needs to be updated manually.

I strongly suggest you install an anti-virus program on those computers to work along with Malwarebytes to be fully protected.

OK, as I stated earlier, Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus program and if you are setting it up as such, you are leaving your computer and those that you help unprotected and vulnerable, you are doing them no justice by leaving them unprotected. NOD32, AVG, Norton, McAfee all anti-virus programs I have setup, will require you to either setup a schedule or modify the default schedule to perform the scans, or they force you to scan from time to time.

Malwarebytes PRO will automatically update its definitions once the scheduler is setup properly according to the schedule you set. Malwarebytes by no means can now how individuals use their computers or what time they have them on, therefore its up to each person to set a schedule that best fits there needs. The FREE version of Malwarebytes is the only one that needs to be updated manually.

I strongly suggest you install an anti-virus program on those computers to work along with Malwarebytes to be fully protected.

And as I stated earlier, I understand that it is not meant to be used as an antivirus. But when those antivirus programs I mentioned before can't detect and remove a virus like Internet Antivirus 2011 but Malwarebytes can then it starts to hurt their reputation. I have installed Malwarebytes on several client computers and 95% of the time I never see them again or hear of them having a virus and almost every client I see on a weekly basis because I know them all personally through friends and family. I am not leaving them unprotected. They all have Microsoft Security Essentials installed and it is updated regularly and it scans their computer regularly. I'm not as big of a fool as you seem to be making me out to be.

Yes from time to time they do make you scan but for the most part they update regularly. I never set Nod32 to update at a particular time I just used the default set up and pretty much everytime I would open my laptop it would update the definitions and a lot of times it would update while I was working on a project (as I'm a software developer). It would do this automatically by default.

Correct it cannot know a person's schedule but it could be programmed to detect certain items. For example, you could program it to once every couple of hours to detect if the OS is in sleep mode and if it's not then it would update the definitions in the background. Just small things like that is what I have been referring to.

RandomlyKnighted by no means do I think of you as being a fool, I must have misunderstood you as not having anti-virus installed on those computers.... Sorry you misunderstood me or took it the wrong way.... Hard to get your thoughts on paper sometimes and sometimes it comes across the wrong way....

All the same, I am glad that you have Microsoft Security Essentials installed along side the anti-virus.

The latest version of Malwarebytes PRO version does put an automatic update by default during the install process, its up to the user to either leave it that way, or change the scheduler to what suits them best if need be.

Perhaps I have not seen this because I do not have the latest version of Malwarebytes. All I have done is updated the definitions. I think I have version 1.50 and not version 1.50.1 installed.

Also just out curiosity, if someone bought Malwarebytes today and didn't use it for 5 years would their product key still work later on the newer version or would the person have to buy a new version? The reason I ask is because I read that the full version is a one time fee and I just have never seen a piece of software like this. Usually the software product key algorithm is updated with each new version.

Perhaps I have not seen this because I do not have the latest version of Malwarebytes. All I have done is updated the definitions. I think I have version 1.50 and not version 1.50.1 installed.

Also just out curiosity, if someone bought Malwarebytes today and didn't use it for 5 years would their product key still work later on the newer version or would the person have to buy a new version? The reason I ask is because I read that the full version is a one time fee and I just have never seen a piece of software like this. Usually the software product key algorithm is updated with each new version.

Hi.

Once you register the pro version(1.50) it will automatically set a schedule for you(think it's random)if you have both checkboxes checked.

Yes. I've had the pro since around 1.37 and never had any license issues.:)

If I can just clarify some things -

Buttons is right that the program will automatically generate a random once per day Update schedule (with the recover time set to 23 hours) when the program is first registered in the scanner GUI as long as the box for "Keep protection up-to-date automatically" is checked. This only happens when the program is first registered via the scanner GUI. However, it will not currently automatically generate a Scan schedule. As Firefox said, like any other software, MBAM needs to be configured. An update of the main program will honor any existing schedules and it will not generate any new ones. I don't know if the developers may or may not generate a random scan schedule in the future when the program is registered. Even without having a scan schedule set, with the protection module enabled, the program is still actively protecting the user by updating the rules definition database, monitoring any malicious process trying to launch, and also blocking potentially malicious web sites. We try to accommodate as many situations as possible, but it's difficult to please everyone all the time. Sometimes features don't always get included as soon as some people would like. However, we do listen and take it to heart.

The license is a lifetime license for home retail consumer users.

Business use, including schools, non-profit, and government institutions, requires an annual renewal. Nor is there any provision in the licensing for a free version for this type of user.

I don't know how we may validate existing licensing in the future. If a retail home consumer user did go away and never use the program for five years, he would still have a valid license to use the program, but he may need to get new credentials of some type. So far, that's not been the case. If we were to use another algorithm or method, I'm sure Malwarebytes would provide a no-cost update path as long as the user has retained his/her existing licensing or be able to provide enough other information so that it can be verified. I have no idea if that would be an automatic or a manual process, but with the amount of users out there I would like to think it would mostly be an automatic process with a minimum of manual involvement. The company may also offer other additional features in the future that might incur an additional charge if you wanted to use them, but the main program and protection that you are buying today wouldn't require it. For instance, we have partnered with another company to provide phone support for those who wish to use it. Some people just feel better having someone to talk to. That type of support is not included in your lifetime license and is an additional cost. However, we continue to offer email support included at no additional cost as we have in the past. They have also alluded to the possibility of future plug-in modules that may be an additional charge.

MBAM will not automatically scan a USB drive when it is inserted. However, it does monitor for any malicious process trying to launch, even if it is from the flash drive.

This may sound like the knight guy, but i too heavily depend on Malwarebytes. For testing purposes, about 6 months ago, i dropped Avira completely and now run ONLY malwarebytes PRo without any issues at all. I surf questionable websites, download warez, and run cracks etc etc and every moment, Malwarebytes is there to stop whatever bad stuff i happen to run into.

The only thing i don't like is that the website filter is a bit too aggressive and stops a lot of sites that don't need to be filtered. Guessing its a 3rd party advertiser maybe thats makes the block kick in.