Two hours gaming = a line of cocaine..

ShyWriter

b6e05929.gif

Two hours gaming = a line of cocaine

by Ben Parfitt | Yesterday at 8:32 am

a2273cfb.jpg

On the back of the sleeplessness furore, therapist Steve Pope makes some of the most shocking claims yet.

Just one day after claims linking video games to sleeplessness emerged, Lancashire based therapist Steve Pope has made some of the most bewildering accusations yet about the possible harmful effects of gaming.

I sit in front of my PC at least 8-10 hours daily but that didn't explicitly cause anything mentioned. I have always been a hyperactive kid. Considering my prolonged exposure to technology as the reason would be non sequitur. However, I rarely play any games nowadays.

I think that link between gaming and cocaine is a little contrived. Just because an area of the brain is activated similarly with gaming and cocaine dosen't mean the effects are the same....All neuroscientific studies are correlation, not causal. All neuroscience studies need to be seen in a broader context; for instance, do all gamers do cocaine? No. Do all gamers have addiction to gaming, no? are the rates of exposure and addiction onset even similar between cocaine and video games? no. That dude obviously knows nothing and is just fueling more pointless debate about media and behaviors. His claims are grossly exaggerated, and for this I think he has lost all credibility. Talk to anyone who is an expert on addiction and tell them this and they would probably laugh.

The link between video games and sleeplessness, that's been established quite solidly. But it's not just video games: TV, computers, basically any screen use involving a backlight and high UV light exposure will cause sleeplessness since it throws of the body's melatonin cycle. But cocaine and video games being similar in rates of exposure? good gosh no! And video games with violence, that link has only conclusively been shown with kids; in older adults, that link is still being debated hotly.

I think that link between gaming and cocaine is a little contrived. Just because an area of the brain is activated similarly with gaming and cocaine dosen't mean the effects are the same....All neuroscientific studies are correlation, not causal. All neuroscience studies need to be seen in a broader context; for instance, do all gamers do cocaine? No. Do all gamers have addiction to gaming, no? are the rates of exposure and addiction onset even similar between cocaine and video games? no. That dude obviously knows nothing and is just fueling more pointless debate about media and behaviors. His claims are grossly exaggerated, and for this I think he has lost all credibility. Talk to anyone who is an expert on addiction and tell them this and they would probably laugh.

The link between video games and sleeplessness, that's been established quite solidly. But it's not just video games: TV, computers, basically any screen use involving a backlight and high UV light exposure will cause sleeplessness since it throws of the body's melatonin cycle. But cocaine and video games being similar in rates of exposure? good gosh no! And video games with violence, that link has only conclusively been shown with kids; in older adults, that link is still being debated hotly.

Totally agreed. That dude's article is full of logical fallacies.

Describing his campaign against gaming as a "personal quest to spread the message", Pope urged any parents listening to the broadcast to "go upstairs to your kids bedroom and try and take the game station controller out of their hands".

It's the typical "worried parent" viewpoint. "go upstairs to your kids bedroom and try and take the game station controller out of their hands"? Some fine nurture that is.