Can I..............

Hello, trying50:

The FREE versions of neither MBAM nor SAS offer real-time protection.

Therefore, unless I am sorely mistaken, there is no option in either FREE program to run at startup.

Only the PRO (paid) versions offer that option.

Not sure about Avast, since I have never used it.

So, I think your question is moot?

If you were to purchase the PRO version of MBAM, it should run fine at startup with Avast, so long as you take care to set up the proper FW and AV permissions and exclusions when you install it.

Instructions for how to do that are in the FAQ at the top of the forum here.

(That said, it would depend to some extent as well on your system specs. It may be just as easy to manually start MBAM or SAS active protection modules after Windows and your startup programs have loaded.)

HTH,

daledoc1

Hello, trying50:

The FREE versions of neither MBAM nor SAS offer real-time protection.

Therefore, unless I am sorely mistaken, there is no option in either FREE program to run at startup.

Only the PRO (paid) versions offer that option.

Not sure about Avast, since I have never used it.

So, I think your question is moot?

If you were to purchase the PRO version of MBAM, it should run fine at startup with Avast, so long as you take care to set up the proper FW and AV permissions and exclusions when you install it.

Instructions for how to do that are in the FAQ at the top of the forum here.

(That said, it would depend to some extent as well on your system specs. It may be just as easy to manually start MBAM or SAS active protection modules after Windows and your startup programs have loaded.)

HTH,

daledoc1

Hi and thanks for your reply. I should have said that both SAS and Avast are the paid-for versions but the mbam is the free one. I do have the paid-for mbam but was told that I couldn't run it alongside the other two.

Hi, trying50:

OOPS!

Sorry, I misunderstood your post.

Here's my two-cents worth (strictly as a home user, not in any way affiliated with MBAM).

IMHO, MBAM PRO is a much more robust program with better engineering and support, and the real-time protection module, especially IP blocking, is superb.

SAS is good, and I use it.

But it doesn't seem to offer much that is better than MBAM, EXCEPT that it is pretty decent at detecting tracking cookies (which are not malware per se, and not really dangerous).

It's probably not a good idea to run both MBAM PRO *and* SAS PRO alongside your AV.

If I were going to choose which 3rd-party anti-malware program to run with my AV for real-time protection, it would be (and currently *is* on both my rigs): MBAM.

I use SAS Free for routine manual scans periodically (a few times a week), but it has never picked up anything besides an occasional tracking cookie.

And it has certainly never picked up anything that either MBAM or my AV (currently Webroot or KIS) has missed.

So, I'm sorry -- I really blew it, b/c I misunderstood your original post & didn't really answer your exact question.

I expect one of the experts will have some more technical advice about the advisability of running MBAM PRO *and* SAS PRO.

Apologies, :lol:

daledoc1

I've run SAS Pro and MBAM PRO alongside each other in testing along with an AV and there were no performance issues or compatibility problems, though my testing was alongside Kaspersky Anti-Virus and not Avast!, but I don't expect you'll encounter any problems if you did choose to run them together in realtime.

For the free version of MBAM, there will be no problems as it doesn't run at startup, it's only an on-demand scanner.